Trigonometry Triangle Help: Finding Unknown Angles and Sides

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's recent move up a grade and their current study of trigonometry. The student is given a triangle with known measurements and is asked to find an unknown angle. They attempt different methods but are unsure of how to use sine. The conversation ends with the teacher explaining the definition of sine and the student realizing their mistake.
blueparukia
First off, I was just moved up a grade (about 2 week ago) and the class is studying trigonometry.

Homework Statement

I have a triangle:
Hyp = 10m
Opp = 4m
Adj= Unknown
Feta = Unknown

And I need to find feta.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have tried a lot of random things lol.
E.g: sin-1 (10x4)

Well, that's actually about it.

I also have another question. Exactly from the revision sheet.
By using a radar beam. an observer at A determinses that a plane at B is 2000 metres away (AB=2000) Use the information given to calculate the height of the plane above the horizontal [tex]\overline AC[/tex] The angle is 50 degrees. I know the answer is 2000xsin 50, but how do I know t is sin? The teacher gave me the answer, but I don't know how she came up with sin :(

Please help,

BP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to do that, you first need to know the definitions of sine, cosine, etc!

sine is defined, in a triangle,as "opposite/hypotenuse", NOT "opposite times hypotenuse. You need to find sin-1(4/10).

4/10 thank you! I was using 4x10. Completely forgot.

Thankl you,

BP

1. What is a right triangle?

A right triangle is a triangle with one angle that measures 90 degrees. This angle is known as the right angle and is represented by a small square in the corner of the triangle.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental concept in trigonometry that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c represents the length of the hypotenuse and a and b represent the lengths of the other two sides.

3. How do I find the missing side length of a right triangle?

To find the missing side length of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or one of the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, or tangent) depending on the given information. If you know the lengths of two sides, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. If you know the measure of one angle and the length of one side, you can use the trigonometric functions. It is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct units (degrees or radians) when using trigonometric functions.

4. How do I find the missing angle of a right triangle?

To find the missing angle of a right triangle, you can use inverse trigonometric functions (arcsine, arccosine, or arctangent) depending on the given information. If you know the lengths of two sides, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the measure of one angle. It is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct units (degrees or radians) when using inverse trigonometric functions.

5. How is trigonometry used in the real world?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of real-world applications, including architecture, engineering, navigation, surveying, and astronomy. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model and solve problems involving angles and distances. Additionally, trigonometric functions and concepts are used in many other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, statistics, and geometry.