Trivial/pointless math puzzle I'm too stupid to solve

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of representing arbitrarily large natural numbers using the fewest possible characters. The question asks which base would yield the largest ratio of numbers represented to characters stored. The person responding mocks the question and suggests using place notation and optimizing for the number of characters by dividing the storeroom into different digits and copies of each digit. They also suggest trying this out for small numbers and using a storage limit of 20 characters.
Michael12345
Pretend you own a printing press and you want to be able to represent any arbitrarily large natural number. You also want to store the fewest possible number of characters in your collection, just to save space. What base, if any, would yield the largest ratio of numbers you can represent to numbers of characters you have to store?

I can't figure it out. Please mock the question and don't forget to tell me all the ways I have missed the point or shamed my country's public education system. I've trained myself to turn your abuse into cuts and cigarette burns on my skin and holes in my landlord's walls.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is just using place notation right? No sneaky alternative depictions of numbers.

Optimizing for the number of characters, you want to divide up your storeroom into n (different digits, the base) x m (copies of each digit) in order to maximize nm (approximately). Or equivalently maximize m log n ;)

Feel free to try this out for smallish numbers. Assume you can store 20 characters or something like that.

Related to Trivial/pointless math puzzle I'm too stupid to solve

1. How do I solve a trivial/pointless math puzzle?

To solve a trivial/pointless math puzzle, start by carefully reading and understanding the given problem. Then, try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use any relevant formulas or equations and think logically to come up with a solution. If you're still stuck, try asking for help from a friend or teacher.

2. Why do I struggle with solving math puzzles?

Solving math puzzles requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. If you struggle with these skills, it may be helpful to practice regularly and seek extra help from a tutor or teacher. Additionally, some people may have learning differences that make math more challenging, and it's important to seek support and accommodations if needed.

3. What is the purpose of trivial/pointless math puzzles?

The purpose of trivial/pointless math puzzles is to exercise your brain and improve your problem-solving skills. These types of puzzles can also be a fun and entertaining way to learn and practice math concepts. However, they should not be taken too seriously and should be treated as a leisure activity rather than a measure of intelligence.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trivial/pointless math puzzles?

It depends on the puzzle. Some puzzles may require only mental math, while others may allow the use of a calculator. However, it's always beneficial to try to solve the puzzle without a calculator first, as it can help improve your math skills.

5. Is it important to be able to solve trivial/pointless math puzzles?

No, it is not essential to be able to solve trivial/pointless math puzzles. These puzzles do not directly relate to real-world problem-solving or applications of math. However, they can be a fun and challenging way to exercise your brain and improve your math skills. Ultimately, the importance of solving these puzzles depends on personal preference.