Trouble with fluid thermodynamics and nuclear thermal rockets

In summary, Robert DeVries needed to know the exhaust velocity of a rocket nozzle given temperature and propellant molar mass, but found that the information available was too complex to solve. He found a website that claimed to have an equation that could be used, but found that it was inaccurate. He then found a different website that claimed to be more accurate, but found that it was also too complex to solve.
Robert DeVries
Summary:: In need of help determining the exhaust velocity of a rocket nozzle given temperature and propellant molar mass

Greetings and salutations! My name is Robert DeVries, world builder extraordinaire. I have come with questions in search of answers.

So for the last few days I've been trying to figure something out: Why is the ISP I'm getting from this equation so much higher than it should be? I think some context is in order.

I like to write science fiction, and I'm currently working on my first short story. However before I start truly beginning to write I'd like to finish designing the basics of this interplanetary ship: a nuclear thermal rocket-propelled warship. The website Project Rho, specifically its sub-site Atomic Rockets, has been extremely helpful as far as back-of-the-envelope equations go, allowing me to put in enough detail to my creations to seem at least half-way realistic. However now I've hit a brick wall, their section on the solid-core NTR claims that the general exhaust velocity/specific impulse of a NTR - and solid-core rockets in particular - is proportional to this equation [1/sqrt(molar mass of propellant)]. They have provided a table that they claim was created using this equation with an internal core temperature if 3,200 K, however when I use this equation on those same propellants the ISP is always at least 20% higher than it should be, up to 60%. Here's my spread sheet using the equation on several propellants:

In order to try and figure out where I went wrong I started looking up various methods of determining the exhaust velocity of a rocket nozzle which led me here: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/rocket/rktthsum.html
And that is where the brick wall hit me again.

The first think that really stumped me was Gamma. According to the links that this page leads to Gamma is determined by YET ANOTHER massive wall of equations, which I cannot hope to figure out within the next day. If anyone has some kind of solution for me, beit in the form of a video lecture, detailed explanation, or (please gods) and alternative method of determining the exhaust velocity of a hot gas, I'd be eternally grateful.

Yours truly,
Robert DeVries

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your story rock hard science fiction, @Robert DeVries? If not, readers are unlikely to understand anything to do with exhaust velocity/specific impulse, and even fewer will be able to do the math to verify whatever figures you write up. And even if it is, a short story full of facts and figures may not be as engaging as you hope. So, unless the exhaust velocity is critical to the story, just pick an impressive sounding number of get on with the harder part of writing a compelling narrative.

Robert DeVries said:
They have provided a table that they claim was created using this equation with an internal core temperature if 3,200 K, however when I use this equation on those same propellants the ISP is always at least 20% higher than it should be, up to 60%.

Using

##v_e = \sqrt {\left( {f + 2} \right) \cdot \frac{{R \cdot T}}{M}} ##

with the degrees of freedom ##f## (I set it to three times the number of atoms per molecule), gas constant ##R##, temperature ##T## and molar mass ##M##, I get slightly better results. However, such calculations will always give you an estimation only. But that's sufficient for a science fiction story. To be out by orders of magnitude could be a problem. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

1. What is fluid thermodynamics?

Fluid thermodynamics is the study of the behavior and properties of fluids, such as gases and liquids, in relation to temperature, pressure, and other external factors. It involves the application of thermodynamic principles to understand and predict the movement and energy transfer of fluids.

2. How do nuclear thermal rockets work?

Nuclear thermal rockets use the energy from a nuclear reactor to heat a propellant, typically liquid hydrogen, to extremely high temperatures. The heated propellant is then expelled out of a nozzle at high speeds, creating thrust and propelling the rocket forward.

3. What are the challenges with fluid thermodynamics in nuclear thermal rockets?

One of the main challenges with fluid thermodynamics in nuclear thermal rockets is managing the extreme temperatures and pressures involved. The high temperatures can cause the propellant to dissociate or ionize, altering its properties and affecting the performance of the rocket. Additionally, the high pressures can lead to structural issues and thermal stresses.

4. How are these challenges being addressed in the development of nuclear thermal rockets?

Scientists and engineers are continuously researching and developing new materials and designs to better withstand the extreme conditions in nuclear thermal rockets. This includes using advanced cooling techniques, such as actively cooled nozzles, and developing materials that can withstand high temperatures and pressures.

5. What are the potential applications of nuclear thermal rockets?

Nuclear thermal rockets have the potential to greatly increase the efficiency and speed of space travel. They could be used for long-distance space exploration missions, such as manned missions to Mars, as well as for launching satellites and other spacecraft into orbit. They could also potentially be used for interstellar travel in the future.