Trouble with Laplace transform of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability distribution of a quantum random walker in a finite graph. The probability distribution is represented by an equation involving two sums and two trigonometric functions. The person is looking for help in finding the Laplace transform of this equation, as well as plotting it for fixed values of N and t. The conversation also touches upon the underlying physics behind the equation. MATLAB is unable to handle the Laplace transform of the equation, and the person is looking for assistance in finding the simplified result.
imtitanium
I have a probability distribution as follows:
\begin{equation}p_j(t)=\frac{1}{N^2}\left|\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}c_{1,k}e^{ij\tilde{k}}\right|^2+\frac{1}{N^2}\left|\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}c_{2,k}(t)e^{ij\tilde{k}}\right|^2\end{equation}
where,
\begin{equation}c_{1,k}(t)=\cos\theta_kt-\frac{i\cos\tilde{k}\sin\theta_kt}{\sqrt{1+cos^2\tilde{k}}},
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
c_{2,k}(t)=-\frac{ie^{i\tilde{k}}\sin\theta_kt}{\sqrt{1+cos^2\tilde{k}}}.
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
\tilde{k}=\frac{2\pi k}{N}.
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}\sin\theta_k=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\sin\frac{2\pi k}{N}.\end{equation}

Can anyone please help me find the laplace transform of $p_j(t)$? I would also be glad if anyone could help me plot the probability distribution as a function of $j$ for fixed $N$ and $t$. Please note that the probability is zero for odd $j+t$. Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you need to expand all these expression until you end up with a sum of products like

sin(Θk t) sin(Θk' t)

The Laplace transform of this term is simple, but the sum still need to be simplified.
I expect the result to be expressed as sum, but a closer form is not impossible.

I this expression comes out of a piece of physics, it would be helpful to explain it here.
The underlying physics could help to figure out the end result.

Ok, this expression describes the probability distribution of a quantum random walker in a finite graph. And one more thing is that even Matlab cannot evaluate the laplace transform of this function. I do not need the detailed derivation of the result (although knowing it would be pretty cool), I just need the final result so that I can use it in another problem. Any help is highly appreciated.

Should we read "sin(Θk t)" or "sin(Θk) t" ?

\begin{equation}\sin(\theta_kt)\end{equation}

This Laplace transform should be useful:

[tex]L(Sin(a t) Sin(b t)) = \frac{2 a b p}{a^4+2 a^2 \left(p^2-b^2\right)+\left(b^2+p^2\right)^2}[/tex]

Will MATLAB be able to handle this? I know we can find out laplace transform in matlab. I want to try out that, but when I type the above expression in matlab, I always get some error.

Related to Trouble with Laplace transform of a function

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering and physics. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to manipulate and solve.

2. Why do we encounter problems with Laplace transforms of certain functions?

The Laplace transform can only be applied to functions that are "well-behaved" or have certain properties such as being continuous, having a finite number of discontinuities, and decaying as time goes to infinity. Some functions, such as step functions and exponential functions, do not meet these criteria and therefore cannot be easily transformed using Laplace.

3. How can I solve a differential equation using Laplace transform?

To solve a differential equation using Laplace transform, you first apply the transform to both sides of the equation. This transforms the differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved for the transformed function. Finally, the inverse Laplace transform is applied to the solution to obtain the original function.

4. Can Laplace transform be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the Laplace transform is most commonly used for linear, time-invariant systems. It can also be applied to some nonlinear systems, but the resulting equations can be more complex and may require additional techniques for solving.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Laplace transform?

One limitation of Laplace transform is that it only works for functions of a single variable, typically time. It also assumes that the system being analyzed is in a steady state and does not account for any transient behavior. Additionally, some functions may not have a Laplace transform or may have a transform that is difficult to compute.