Trouble with Quoted Text: Anyone Else Experienced This Issue?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, there was trouble with quoting text on two posts and the quotation window had too few lines with no scroll bar to view the rest. However, after refreshing the browser window, the issue seemed to resolve itself.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Recently I had trouble on two posts quoting text. I wonder if anyone else had the same experience.

The trouble was that although all the text was quoted, the quotation window on the post has too few lines, and there is no scroll bar to view the rest of the lines.

Here's an example. I tried to quote this entire post.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...es-webb-space-telescope.1008536/#post-6558722The result is:

JWST is not the only one. There are four other space telescope projects in the works. All four of them are designed to orbit the L2 point. According to the video, all four are intended to be simpler and cheaper than the JWST; not surprising because technology marches on.

2:54 Habitable Exoplanet observatory (HabEx)
8:53 Lynx X-Ray observatory
12:00 Origins Space Telescope (OST)
17:17 Large Ultraviolet, Optical, Infrared Surveyor (LUVOIR)

In edit mode, the entire text is visible, but in preview mode or after posting, the bottom lines are cut off.

EDIT: I proved myself wrong. When posted it is OK. Only in preview mode are lines cut off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was it still a problem after you refreshed the browser window one time? Quoted stuff often doesn't all show until you refresh the window, in my experience...

Aargh. I tried to test it with refresh, but now I can't reproduce the symptom at all.

Please disregard unless I can capture evidence with a screen shot.

Yeah, I see it sometimes too, but refreshing the browser window seems to restore the whole quote. Probably some Greg optimization thingy. :smile:

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
Please disregard unless I can capture evidence with a screen shot.

OK, you are now. . . disregarded. .

1644955939644.png

😏 . :DD

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
I've also seen it once or twice, and it goes away on a refresh. Visually, it's like discussion sites that hide all but the first couple of lines of long quotes, but with no "click to expand" type button.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the issue with quoted text?

The issue with quoted text is that it can sometimes cause formatting or readability problems in documents or online forums. This can occur when the text is copied and pasted from another source, causing extra characters or formatting to be added.

2. How does quoted text affect the accuracy of information?

Quoted text can potentially affect the accuracy of information if the extra characters or formatting change the meaning of the original text. This can be especially problematic in academic or scientific writing where accuracy is crucial.

3. Are there any tips for avoiding issues with quoted text?

Yes, there are a few tips for avoiding issues with quoted text. One is to manually type out the text instead of copying and pasting it. Another is to use a plain text editor instead of a word processor, which can sometimes add extra formatting. It's also important to proofread and check for any changes to the original text.

4. Can quoted text be fixed once it has caused an issue?

Yes, quoted text can usually be fixed by manually editing the text and removing any extra characters or formatting. It's also helpful to double-check the original source to ensure the accuracy of the quoted text.

5. Is this issue common among scientists or researchers?

Yes, this issue can occur among scientists or researchers who are working with large amounts of text and data. It's important to be aware of the potential issues with quoted text and take steps to avoid them in order to maintain the accuracy and integrity of research findings.