True Statements on Vapor Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the true statements regarding volatility of a liquid, equilibrium vapor pressure, and its relation to temperature and intermolecular attraction. It is concluded that volatility increases with temperature and vapor pressure is dependent on temperature, but not constant. The type of molecules in a liquid can also affect its vapor pressure, but not the normal boiling point. The only potential error mentioned is in option (d) where the statement about the vapor pressure becoming equal to external pressure is incorrect.
Jay J

Homework Statement

Which of the following are true statements ? There may be more than one answer

a) Volatility of a liquid increases with increasing temperature

b) The equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid results from evaporation exceeding condensation

c) The equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid remains constant as temperature changes

d) The vapor pressure of a liquid at its normal boiling point is strongly affected by the type of molecules the liquid consists of

Homework Equations

--------------

The Attempt at a Solution

a. True. Increasing temperature increases the amount of volatile liquid which vaporizes.

b. False. An equilibrium is defined as the case where the "forward rate" is equal to the "reverse rate".

c. False. Vapor pressure is a function of T. Increases in T result in increases in vapor pressure.

d. True. The vapor pressure at the boiling point is affected by the intermolecular attraction between the molecules and that depends on the molecules themselves.

What did i do wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
what r u wanting?
i think Jay J is correct.

ans to jay

i think the prblen with Jay J is in last i.e option (d).the vapour pressure of a liquid become equal to the external vapour pressure that is why the molecule become free b/c when external pressure is great so it resist the molecule to go out but when both are equalized so molecule come out freom liquid.
sp vapour pressure of a liquid at its normal boiling boiling point is indepenent of the type molecule but normal boiling point is depend upon type of molecule.
if i do some error so please please please please... inform me.

Related to True Statements on Vapor Pressure

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapor in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form at a certain temperature.

2. How is vapor pressure calculated?

Vapor pressure can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the temperature and the enthalpy of vaporization of the substance.

3. What factors affect vapor pressure?

Temperature, intermolecular forces, and molecular weight are some of the factors that affect vapor pressure. Generally, as temperature increases, vapor pressure also increases.

4. How does vapor pressure relate to boiling point?

Vapor pressure and boiling point are inversely related. As vapor pressure increases, boiling point decreases, and vice versa. This is because at a higher vapor pressure, the substance is more likely to transition from liquid to gas phase, resulting in a lower boiling point.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding vapor pressure?

Understanding vapor pressure is crucial in many industries, such as in the production of fuels, pharmaceuticals, and food. It is also important in controlling the pressure within a closed container, such as in a pressure cooker or in a chemical reaction vessel.