Trying to build a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to collect gas data from the headspace of their samples using a gas collecting chamber and calorimetric gas tubes. The speaker also mentions the importance of considering key parameters such as material, volume, gas tubes, stopcocks, and a pressure gauge. They seek advice and comments on their plan before starting the construction of the chamber.
jen0leb
Hi guys,

I'm a graduate student and currently doing some research on a packed bed - I want to collect gas data from the headspace of my samples so i thought of building a gas collecting chamber on top of the vessel, where i can take gas measurements using calorimetric gas tubes. I'm not sure where to start and what key parameters i should be looking out for first. I attached a sketch of what I'm thinking it should look like. The idea is that when i want to sample the gas i would close stopcock (1) - open (2) / (3) until the liquid fills about half the chamber > close (3) and (2) and open (1). Now that the chamber is filled i could open the aperture (4) and sample my gas. Once finished, i could use the drain to get rid of the liquid sample. I was also thinking of installing a cheap analog pressure gauge on the bottom of the chamber to get an idea of the hydro-static pressure. Please advise, would love to hear all your comments.http://imgur.com/a/aze9g

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a good plan in mind for collecting gas data from the headspace of your samples. Before you start building your gas collecting chamber, there are a few key parameters that you should consider:

1. Material: The material of your gas collecting chamber should be compatible with the gas you are collecting. For example, if you are collecting corrosive gases, you will need to use a material that is resistant to corrosion.

2. Volume: The volume of your gas collecting chamber should be large enough to accommodate the gas you want to collect and the gas tubes you will be using to measure it. You should also consider the volume of your samples and how much gas they will produce.

3. Gas tubes: Make sure to choose gas tubes that are suitable for the type of gas you are measuring. Different gases may require different types of tubes.

4. Stopcocks: The stopcocks you use should be able to prevent gas from escaping and also allow for easy opening and closing for sampling.

5. Pressure gauge: Installing a pressure gauge is a good idea to monitor the hydrostatic pressure in the chamber. Make sure to calibrate it regularly to ensure accurate readings.

Overall, it's important to carefully plan and consider all the necessary parameters before building your gas collecting chamber. Good luck with your research!

1. How does a gas collecting chamber work above a packed bed?

A gas collecting chamber above a packed bed works by allowing gases to rise from the packed bed into the chamber. The chamber is designed to contain and collect the gases for further analysis or use.

2. What is the purpose of building a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed?

The purpose of building a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed is to capture and collect gases that are produced or released during a chemical reaction or process occurring in the packed bed. This allows for further study or utilization of the gases.

3. How is the gas collected in the chamber above the packed bed?

The gas is collected in the chamber above the packed bed through a combination of factors such as gravity, pressure differentials, and flow rates. The design of the chamber and its positioning above the packed bed also play a role in efficiently collecting the gas.

4. What types of gases can be collected in a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed?

A gas collecting chamber above a packed bed can collect a wide range of gases, including but not limited to carbon dioxide, methane, hydrogen, and oxygen. The type of gas collected will depend on the specific chemical reaction or process occurring in the packed bed.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed?

When designing a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed, factors such as the type of gas being collected, the flow rate of the gas, the size and shape of the packed bed, and the desired collection efficiency should be taken into consideration. Additionally, the materials used for the chamber should be compatible with the gases being collected to prevent any potential hazards.