Trying to compare two different weights during drop test

In summary, the parts are both made of foam and are of the same size and weight, but the part with more mass will have more kinetic energy and may deflect more when dropped.
Spoolx
Hi guys,
I am working on a project at work where we make part a which weighs 10 pounds and part b which weighs 13 pounds.

Parts a and b both get packaged in a foam container. I have test data on part a that says it will survive drop tests, I was hoping to do analysis to say part b will also survive the drop test without actually having to test part b.
The drop height is 5 feet. The foam has a specification where it takes 90lbf to deflect it .25 inch

My initial calculation was to find the kinetic energy of both, and then divide by the displacement to find the force, however obviously the foam padding adds some sort of damping to the equation. So I really don't know how to solve this problem.
When I do my KE equation I can't figure out how to get rid of the ft from the numerator as I need lbs to calculate deflection of the foam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much does the foam deflect during the 10lb drop test?

Perhaps you could first assume an amount of foam is required (i.e 1.5 inches needed to stop the object), then use the amount of foam deflection as your deceleration distance, find a, then find the force from your f=ma. Of course this would require a few iterations until the force you find matches up with the force required to displace said amount of foam. And this is also assuming the foam behaves linearly with respect to force and displacement ( 90lbf = 0.25in, 180lbf = 0.5in, 270lbf = 0.75in, ect.), which may not be realistic, but is something you could possibly assume depending on how it acted in the 10lb drop test.

Or maybe this is a gross oversimplification. Let's see if I get torn apart.

I'm not sure if my calculations below are right. In any case, a drop of five feet is a substantial drop, and 10 or 13 pounds are substantial masses...

In SI units, 90 lbf are 90*0,453*9,8 = 400 N. Now, the energy associated with a displacement of that force along 0,25 inch = 0,00635 m is 400 * 0,00635 = 2,54 joule.

Now, if you drop a mass of 10 pounds (4,53 kg) from a height of 5 feet (1,52 m) it will collide with the floor with an energy m*g*h = 4,53*9,8*1,52 = 67 joule...

One more question: How much foam are you allowed?

Spoolx said:
Hi guys,
I am working on a project at work where we make part a which weighs 10 pounds and part b which weighs 13 pounds.

Parts a and b both get packaged in a foam container. I have test data on part a that says it will survive drop tests, I was hoping to do analysis to say part b will also survive the drop test without actually having to test part b.
The drop height is 5 feet. The foam has a specification where it takes 90lbf to deflect it .25 inch

My initial calculation was to find the kinetic energy of both, and then divide by the displacement to find the force, however obviously the foam padding adds some sort of damping to the equation. So I really don't know how to solve this problem.
When I do my KE equation I can't figure out how to get rid of the ft from the numerator as I need lbs to calculate deflection of the foam.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of parts are they? Is their construction (shape, size, material, etc.) identical except for the weight?

1. How do you ensure accuracy when comparing weights during a drop test?

Accuracy can be ensured by using precise measuring tools and techniques, such as a digital scale and ensuring the weights are placed at the exact same angle and height for each drop. It is also important to repeat the test multiple times and take an average to minimize any potential errors.

2. What is the significance of comparing two different weights during a drop test?

Comparing weights during a drop test allows for the determination of the impact and force of each weight, which can be useful in various fields such as engineering and materials science. It can also help in evaluating the durability and strength of different materials.

3. How do you account for the effect of air resistance in a drop test?

Air resistance can be minimized by conducting the drop test in a vacuum or using a drop tower with a controlled environment. Alternatively, the effects of air resistance can be calculated and accounted for in the results of the drop test.

4. Is there a standard procedure for comparing weights during a drop test?

There are various standardized methods for conducting a drop test, such as ASTM standards, depending on the specific purpose and requirements of the test. It is important to follow a recognized procedure to ensure accurate and comparable results.

5. How can the results of a drop test be analyzed and interpreted?

The results of a drop test can be analyzed by comparing the impact force and damage caused by each weight. This can be done through visual observation, measuring the depth of any dents or damage, or using specialized equipment such as strain gauges. The data can then be interpreted to draw conclusions about the relative strength and durability of the materials being tested.