Trying to find an easier way to compute the double sum

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: One way to understand the binomial theorem is by using Pascal's triangle. Each row represents the coefficients of the expanded binomial. For example, the third row is: 1 3 3 1, which corresponds to the expansion of (a+b)^3= a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3. So for the case of (a+b)^2, we have 1 2 1, which corresponds to a^2 + 2ab + b^2, and the coefficients are 1, 2, 1. These coefficients are also known as the binomial coefficients, and they form the triangular pattern in Pascal's triangle.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I computed the double sum
$$\sum_{i=0}^n\sum_{j=i+1}^n j = \sum_{i=0}^n\big(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}-\frac{i(i+1)}{2}\big)=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$
and realized the double sum is equal to $$\sum_{i=1}^ni^2$$
which leads to
$$\sum_{i=0}^n\sum_{j=i+1}^n j = \sum_{i=1}^ni^2$$

Is there a proof of this equality that doesn't require computing out the sums?

I thought that I should try changing the boundaries of integration

##0\leq i+1\leq j\leq n## so

$$\sum_{i=0}^n\sum_{j=i+1}^n j = \sum_{j=0}^n\sum_{i=0}^j j = \sum_{j=0}^n j(j+1)=\Big(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+1\Big)\Big(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\Big)$$

but I was unable to even do this properly since the above isn't equal to ##\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
I thought that I should try changing the boundaries of integration
Summation, not integration...
docnet said:
##0\leq i+1\leq j\leq n## so

$$\sum_{i=0}^n\sum_{j=i+1}^n j = \sum_{j=0}^n\sum_{i=0}^j j \dots$$

but I was unable to even do this properly since the above isn't equal to ##\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}##
I would work with the two summations above, with paper and pencil, to see if they are generating the same terms. If not, that's your answer.

If I understand correctly, write\begin{align*}
\sum_{i=0}^n \sum_{j=i+1}^n j &= \sum_{i=0}^n \left( \frac{n(n+1)}{2} - \frac{i(i+1)}{2} \right) \\
&= \frac{n(n+1)^2}{2} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2 - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i \\
&= \frac{n(n+1)^2}{2} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2 - \dfrac{n(n+1)}{4} \\
&= \dfrac{3}{2} \cdot \dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2
\end{align*}Can you finish it?

ergospherical said:
If I understand correctly, write\begin{align*}
\sum_{i=0}^n \sum_{j=i+1}^n j &= \sum_{i=0}^n \left( \frac{n(n+1)}{2} - \frac{i(i+1)}{2} \right) \\
&= \frac{n(n+1)^2}{2} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2 - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i \\
&= \frac{n(n+1)^2}{2} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2 - \dfrac{n(n+1)}{4} \\
&= \dfrac{3}{2} \cdot \dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2
\end{align*}Can you finish it?
Hi, Thank you so much!

This is the way I computed the sum initially.

$$\dfrac{3}{2} \cdot \dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2$$

I used the identity
$$ \sum_{i=0}^n i^2=\dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$

so
$$\dfrac{3}{2} \cdot \dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} - \dfrac{1}{2} \sum_{i=0}^n i^2=\dfrac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}$$

In the OP I was wondering if this was a coincidence that the double sum was equal to
$$\sum_{i=0}^n i^2$$

sorry, I suck at syntax.

Last edited:
this is the explanation I could find for the sum of squares: In elementary algebra, the binomial theorem (or binomial expansion) describes the algebraic expansion of powers of a binomial.
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 4.46.19 AM.png

• Informative
Likes Office_Shredder
The double sum is equal to
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n
+ 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n
+ 3 + 4 + ... + n
+n
=1*1 + 2*2 + 3*3 + ... + n*n

• Love
Likes docnet
mjc123 said:
The double sum is equal to
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n
+ 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + n
+ 3 + 4 + ... + n
+n
=1*1 + 2*2 + 3*3 + ... + n*n
well that answers my wuestion nicely. thank you :)

• Love
Likes docnet

1. What is a double sum?

A double sum is a mathematical concept where two sums are performed sequentially, with the result of the first sum being used as the starting value for the second sum. It is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus and statistics.

2. Why would someone want to find an easier way to compute a double sum?

Computing a double sum can be a time-consuming and tedious process, especially when dealing with large numbers or complex equations. Finding an easier way to compute it can save time and effort, making it more efficient for researchers and scientists.

3. Are there any existing methods for computing a double sum?

Yes, there are several existing methods for computing a double sum, such as using a computer program or using mathematical formulas and techniques. However, these methods may not always be the most efficient or accurate.

4. What are the challenges in finding an easier way to compute a double sum?

One of the main challenges is finding a method that is both accurate and efficient. Some methods may sacrifice accuracy for speed, while others may be too complex to be practical. Another challenge is finding a method that can be applied to a wide range of equations and variables.

5. How can scientists benefit from an easier way to compute a double sum?

An easier way to compute a double sum can greatly benefit scientists by saving time and effort, allowing them to focus on other aspects of their research. It can also lead to more accurate results and open up possibilities for tackling more complex equations and problems.