Trying to prove a trig identity

I'll keep trying.In summary, the goal is to prove that (sinA + sin3A + sin5A)/(cosA + cos3A + cos5A) = tan3A. Using the equations sinP + sinQ = 2sin((P+Q)/2)cos((P-Q)/2) and cosP + cosQ = 2cos((P+Q)/2)cos((P-Q)/2), we can rewrite the left and right hand sides as 2sin2AcosA + 2sin((5/2)A)cos((5/2)A) and 2cos2AcosA + 2cos((5/2)A + 45
Appleton

Homework Statement

prove that (sinA +sin3A + sin5A)/(cosA + cos3A + cos5A) = tan3A

Homework Equations

sinP + sinQ = 2sin((P+Q)/2)cos((P-Q)/2)
cosP + cosQ = 2cos((P+Q)/2)cos((P-Q)/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(sin3A + sinA) + sin5A = 2sin2AcosA + 2sin((5/2)A)cos((5/2)A)
(cos3A + cosA) + cos5A = 2cos2AcosA + 2cos((5/2)A + 45)cos((5/2)A - 45)
It started to feel like a bit of a cul de sac at this point so I tried pursuing variations on this theme by starting with (sin5A + sin3A) + sinA etc, but these seemed just as fruitless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the right hand side is a function of 3A, it could be useful to combine A and 5A on the left hand side.

Likes 1 person
I haven't checked what Voko suggested but you could also try this: let p = 3A, q = 2A.

verty said:
I haven't checked what Voko suggested but you could also try this: let p = 3A, q = 2A.

voko's suggestion is nice. I was able to solve the problem without pen and paper using his hint. I would suggest Appleton to try that. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions, voko's suggestion led me to the proof, however, I'm still unable to eliminate the pen and paper.

1. How do I get started when trying to prove a trig identity?

The best way to get started is by rewriting the equation using known trig identities and manipulating them until you reach the desired identity. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use substitution to simplify the equation.

2. What are some common trig identities that I should know when trying to prove an identity?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to have a solid understanding of these identities in order to manipulate them effectively.

3. How can I check if my proof is correct?

One way to check if your proof is correct is by plugging in various values for the variables and seeing if both sides of the equation equal each other. Another way is by using a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they overlap.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to prove a trig identity?

If you get stuck, take a step back and try approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also consult online resources or ask a teacher or tutor for help. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can also be helpful.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for proving trig identities more easily?

One tip is to work on one side of the equation at a time, rather than trying to manipulate both sides simultaneously. It can also be helpful to break the identity into smaller parts and prove each part separately. Additionally, practicing with a variety of identities can help improve your understanding and speed when proving trig identities.