Tumor Growth Data: Finding Datasets for Gompertz Model Fitting

In summary, the speaker is a first year college student struggling with an assignment in systems biology that requires them to use the Gompertz growth formula and fit it to a dataset of tumor growth. They have been unable to find a suitable dataset, despite searching through multiple sources such as the university library and Google Scholar. They are seeking help in finding a dataset with individual data points showing tumor growth over time, with a known compatibility with the Gompertz function.
Verdictt
Good day,
I am a first year in college and I am taking a course in systems biology. For this assignment we are to use the Gompertz growth formula and fit it to a data set of tumor growth, fitting the parameters and graphing everything with mathematica. As of now, I am stuck at the part where I need to find the tumor growth dataset. I have been using my university library and google scholar and I have looked through at least 20 papers, but the numbers are never cited directly, only shown in graphs and/or referenced in papers from ~1960, which I cannot find online.
My question is therefore if someone could help me find a dataset, with individual datapoints, describing the growth of a tumor (type is irrelevant) over time. It would be optimal if it is known that the Gompertz function works for it, but this is not a requirement. The only thing the dataset needs to contain is the volume at the start of the measurement, and the volumes at specific timepoints. Anything else is extra.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try one of the math help threads; I think it would be more helpful than this one.

1. What is the Gompertz model and how does it relate to tumor growth data?

The Gompertz model is a mathematical equation used to describe the growth rate of tumors. It is based on the assumption that the growth rate of a tumor decreases exponentially over time.

2. How can I find datasets that are suitable for fitting the Gompertz model?

There are a few ways to find datasets for Gompertz model fitting. You can search for published studies on tumor growth that have used the Gompertz model, or you can look for publicly available datasets on cancer research databases.

3. What factors should I consider when selecting a dataset for Gompertz model fitting?

When selecting a dataset for Gompertz model fitting, it is important to consider the type of tumor, the size and duration of the study, and the availability of relevant data such as tumor volume or growth rate measurements.

4. Can I use the Gompertz model to predict tumor growth in patients?

While the Gompertz model can provide insights into tumor growth patterns, it should not be used as a predictive tool for individual patients. Each tumor and patient is unique, and other factors such as treatment and genetics can greatly affect tumor growth.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Gompertz model for tumor growth data?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Gompertz model for tumor growth data. It assumes that the growth rate of a tumor is constant and does not take into account other factors such as the immune response or changes in tumor microenvironment. It is also best suited for tumors that follow an exponential growth pattern.