Turning the square into a circle

In summary: This problem was solved by René Descartes in the late 16th century, but the answer is still a mystery.
Observeraren
Hello Forum,

Does topology reckon the art of turning a square into a circle? I am quite new to topology and maths in general, I have only dabbled and eyed on my collection of mathbooks. I have come to a conclusion of how to turn the Square into A Circle without cutting.
I wonder if I am cheating and not following the rules of the problem of turning the square into a circle? Am I trying to make a fool out of math?
Think of a paper, and when you fold it, it can fold into itself. Is this cutting? I call it penetrating, but as for me, making a circle from the square is easy business in the aforementioned "penetrating" manner and I thought it was a question of the century, but the answer is so easy.

If I am correct, and you Topology Wizards of the forum do not know how to make the square into a circle in the aforementioned manner, I can show you.
I bet I have solved nothing.
Best wishes,
Observeraren

Physics news on Phys.org
Folding is not how topology works. Rather, you should imagine that you have a perfectly malleable sheet in the shape of a circle. A different shape is homeomorphic to the circle if you can drag the sheet out into that shape. By "folding" your function between the circle and the square would not be injective and therefore not a homeomorphism. Also, you would be better off by looking at the actual mathematical properties that are required than "thinking in words" and flimsy descriptions such as "deforming without cutting".

Orodruin said:
Folding is not how topology works. Rather, you should imagine that you have a perfectly malleable sheet in the shape of a circle. A different shape is homeomorphic to the circle if you can drag the sheet out into that shape. By "folding" your function between the circle and the square would not be injective and therefore not a homeomorphism. Also, you would be better off by looking at the actual mathematical properties that are required than "thinking in words" and flimsy descriptions such as "deforming without cutting".

Is there a problem if I "squish" the square into a circle? Try to stand out with my laymans terms, thank you.

No.

Observeraren said:
Hello Forum,

Does topology reckon the art of turning a square into a circle? I am quite new to topology and maths in general, I have only dabbled and eyed on my collection of mathbooks. I have come to a conclusion of how to turn the Square into A Circle without cutting.
I wonder if I am cheating and not following the rules of the problem of turning the square into a circle? Am I trying to make a fool out of math?
Think of a paper, and when you fold it, it can fold into itself. Is this cutting? I call it penetrating, but as for me, making a circle from the square is easy business in the aforementioned "penetrating" manner and I thought it was a question of the century, but the answer is so easy.

If I am correct, and you Topology Wizards of the forum do not know how to make the square into a circle in the aforementioned manner, I can show you.
I bet I have solved nothing.
Best wishes,
Observeraren

I thought "squaring the circle" was about ruler-and-compass geometry; not topology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring_the_circle

PeroK said:
I thought "squaring the circle" was about ruler-and-compass geometry; not topology:

Well, that is a different problem than the problem of showing that the circle and the square are homeomorphic (which they are).

Orodruin said:
Well, that is a different problem than the problem of showing that the circle and the square are homeomorphic (which they are).

Yes, but I've never heard of a problem to show that a circle and a square are homeomorphic, since it's fairly obvious that they are.

PeroK said:
Yes, but I've never heard of a problem to show that a circle and a square are homeomorphic, since it's fairly obvious that they are.
True. But it is one thing to think it is "obvious" and another to actually construct the homeomorphism. It also works as a good basic example when learning topology.

PeroK said:

Whoopsie. I should take my solution to the appropiate part of the forum. What part of the forum would you suggest?

Orodruin said:
True. But it is one thing to think it is "obvious" and another to actually construct the homeomorphism. It also works as a good basic example when learning topology.

True.

Thanks guys for your time.

Observeraren said:
Whoopsie. I should take my solution to the appropiate part of the forum. What part of the forum would you suggest?
Your thread is fine, here. The thing that PeroK was talking about was a very old problem of how to construct a square with the same area as a given circle, using only a compass (the dividers kind, not the device that shows directions) and a straightedge. This has been proven mathematically to be impossible. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaring_the_circle.

Likes PeroK

1. Can a square be turned into a perfect circle?

Technically, no. A square and a circle are two different shapes with different properties. However, it is possible to approximate a circle using a series of smaller and smaller straight lines, a process known as "circumscribing" a circle within a square.

2. What mathematical concept is involved in turning a square into a circle?

The mathematical concept involved is known as "squaring the circle." This refers to the challenge of constructing a square with the same area as a given circle, using only a compass and straightedge.

3. Are there any real-life applications for turning a square into a circle?

There are many real-life applications for this concept, such as in architecture and engineering. For example, rounded edges on buildings and bridges are often created by approximating a circle within a square structure.

4. What is the relationship between the perimeter of a square and a circle?

The perimeter, or distance around the edge, of a square is always longer than the circumference, or distance around the edge, of a circle with the same area. This is because the corners of a square add extra length to the perimeter, while a circle has no corners.

5. Can a computer program accurately turn a square into a circle?

Yes, with the use of advanced algorithms and computer graphics, it is possible for a computer program to accurately turn a square into a circle. However, it is still an approximation and not a perfect transformation due to the fundamental differences between the two shapes.