TV based education instead of Human teachers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of replacing teachers with pre-recorded videos or technology in a classroom setting, specifically in terms of reducing costs and improving the quality of education. However, there are concerns about the effectiveness of this approach and the importance of teacher-student interaction and immediate feedback. There is also mention of the potential use of humanoid robots for teaching, but it is acknowledged that this would not provide the same level of interaction as a human teacher. Overall, the group agrees that online learning can have its benefits, but it is not a perfect solution and should not completely replace traditional classroom learning.
The amazing thing about this thread is the idea that this is a new thing, and the weakness of one-way instruction is also a brand new discovery. This goes back to the early 50's. Zz's question "Have you ever taught a class?" is particularly relevant - it's the first question that gets asked whenever this idea comes back from the dead.

Science news on Phys.org
Never been in a class where students weren't regularly participating. Even in an english class I had that was 7:00 am. If I had to pay tuition to watch instructional videos I would stop going to school and just read the books on my own.

The video below shows one educator's experience why one way education techniques often fail.

Likes Frenemy90210
Vanadium 50 said:
The amazing thing about this thread is the idea that this is a new thing, and the weakness of one-way instruction is also a brand new discovery. This goes back to the early 50's. Zz's question "Have you ever taught a class?" is particularly relevant - it's the first question that gets asked whenever this idea comes back from the dead.

Yes, but it's also worth stating that distance learning has a long history. For example. the US Navy needed ways to provide content to sailors stationed on ships that were at sea for extended periods of time, and in that context it has largely been successful.

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/education-articles/history-of-distance-learning.html
https://www.seniornet.org/edu/art/history.html

Last edited:
I always gave my lectures as a question and answer session, leading my students slowly towards discovery. The impact was very strong and the ideas, concepts, research methods, were very effectively communicated. Science, after all, starts by asking questions about nature.

Likes ISamson