Typesetting multi-line equations

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Typesetting
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for properly typesetting a series of inequalities or approximate equalities when the left-hand side does not change. One approach is to stack the equations, while another is to repeat the left-hand side. It is recommended to use the approximately equals symbol and repeat the left-hand side for clarity and to avoid confusion. It is also important to ensure that the equations are not incorrect or misleading, and to assume that the reader has enough knowledge to follow the mathematical argument.
DrClaude
Mentor
I have a question on how to properly typeset a series of inequalities or approximate equalities when the LHS does not change. Take for example
[tex]
f(x) = \sin(x) \\
\quad \approx x - \frac{x^3}{3!} \\
\quad = x - \frac{x^3}{6}
[/tex]
What I did there is that I took it as if it was one long line,
[tex]
f(x) = \sin(x) \approx x - \frac{x^3}{3!} = x - \frac{x^3}{6}
[/tex]
that is split and stacked. Is this the correct way to do it? Or is it assumed that the LHS repeats, i.e.,
[tex]
f(x) = \sin(x) \\
f(x) \approx x - \frac{x^3}{3!} \\
f(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{6}
[/tex]
in which case the last line is incorrect?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would for clarity use the aproximately equals in the last equation and repeat the LHS.

Why?

Because as you're composing your solution steps you might need to insert a step and by not explicitly typing the LHS for each line means confusion will set in especially if you're reviewing your work weeks or months later for a test.

jedishrfu said:
I would for clarity use the aproximately equals in the last equation and repeat the LHS.
What I don't like about your approach is that once you introduce a [itex]\approx[/itex], there are no more [itex]=[/itex], so that it is not obvious if additional approximations are made.

There is also a problem when the LHS is itself very long.

My basic "rules" would be
(1) never write anything that is actually wrong.
(2) assume the reader at least knows enough to follow the mathematical argument.

So in the OP, all the options are OK, except for the last line $$f(x) = x - \frac{x^3}{6}$$ which just plain wrong.

In a more complicated situation you might need to spell out a detail like "and since 3! = 6 we get" ...

AlephZero said:
(2) assume the reader at least knows enough to follow the mathematical argument.

I like that :smile:

1. How do I typeset multi-line equations in LaTeX?

To typeset multi-line equations in LaTeX, you can use the align environment. This allows you to align equations at specific points using the & symbol. You can also use the split or multline environments for more complex equations.

2. How do I break a long equation into multiple lines?

You can use the \begin{split} and \end{split} commands to break a long equation into multiple lines within the align environment. Alternatively, you can use the \multline command to break an equation into multiple lines with a single equation number.

3. Can I have different alignment for each line in a multi-line equation?

Yes, you can use the alignat environment to specify the alignment for each line in a multi-line equation. This allows you to have more control over the alignment of each equation.

4. How do I add equation numbers to each line in a multi-line equation?

You can use the \notag command to suppress the equation number for a specific line in a multi-line equation. Alternatively, you can use the \tag command to manually add an equation number to a specific line.

5. Can I use different font sizes for each line in a multi-line equation?

Yes, you can use the \displaystyle command to change the font size for a specific line in a multi-line equation. This can be useful for equations with different levels of complexity.