Ultrasound Transducers and Simulator

In summary: These have a thin membrane that is submerged in water. The transducer sends ultrasound waves into the water and they bounce off the bottom, going into the water. The membrane is very thin so you don't need to worry about reflections. There are two types of water immersion transducers: the open-cell and the closed-cell. The open-cell transducer uses air as the acoustic medium, so it needs to be submerged in water. The closed-cell transducer uses a water-filled enclosure, so it does not need to be submerged. Both types of transducers have disadvantages. The open-cell transducer has a very low sound quality because the sound is scattered. The closed-cell trans
NPB777
Presently I am working on Underwater Acoustic Wireless Transmission. I desire to measure water parameters at the bottom of the surface of the water and then pass it to the water surface using Ultrasound. There will be a buoy at the surface which is half submerged and half floating. The floating part will have the receiver. Desired data rate is around several tens of kbps. What are various Transducers available for this purpose to make a prototype with Arduino? HC-SR 04 is the only easily available Ultrasound Transducer available at my place. But will it work underwater? Also suggest me good open source simulators which can satisfy this need?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NPB777 said:
Presently I am working on Underwater Acoustic Wireless Transmission. I desire to measure water parameters at the bottom of the surface of the water and then pass it to the water surface using Ultrasound. There will be a buoy at the surface which is half submerged and half floating. The floating part will have the receiver. Desired data rate is around several tens of kbps. What are various Transducers available for this purpose to make a prototype with Arduino? HC-SR 04 is the only easily available Ultrasound Transducer available at my place. But will it work underwater? Also suggest me good open source simulators which can satisfy this need?
Welcome to the PF.

When you Google underwater ultrasonic transducer systems, what do you find? :smile:

These are air-coupled transducers so they won't work properly if you just dip them in water. Besides, they are not just transducers but an integrated system, with transducers and electronics on the same PCB. Do you plan to submerge all that in water?
If you want to send the ultrasound produced in the air by these transducers into water, you will have strong reflections at the interface due to huge impedance mismatch.
It would be a lot easier to use water immersion transducers, which are very common.

1. What is an ultrasound transducer?

An ultrasound transducer is a device that converts electrical energy into sound waves and vice versa. It is the main component of an ultrasound machine and is used to generate and receive sound waves to produce images of the inside of the body.

2. How does an ultrasound transducer work?

An ultrasound transducer works by using piezoelectric crystals that vibrate when electrical energy is applied to them. These vibrations create sound waves that travel into the body and bounce off different tissues and organs, creating an image on the ultrasound screen.

3. What is the purpose of a simulator in ultrasound?

A simulator in ultrasound is a training tool used to simulate real-life scenarios for ultrasound technicians. It allows them to practice using ultrasound equipment, interpreting images, and honing their skills without the need for real patients.

4. How accurate are ultrasound simulators?

The accuracy of ultrasound simulators depends on the quality and technology of the simulator. However, they are designed to mimic real-life scenarios as closely as possible and provide a realistic learning experience for ultrasound technicians.

5. Are there different types of ultrasound transducers and simulators?

Yes, there are various types of ultrasound transducers and simulators, each designed for specific purposes and applications. There are linear, curved, and phased array ultrasound transducers, and simulators can range from basic models to high-fidelity simulations with advanced features.