Uncovering the Truth: Recording Lightspeed with a Trillion FPS Camera

• Thread starter Mohd Abdullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightspeed
In summary, a group of scientists have successfully recorded the speed of light using a trillion fps camera that they created. However, this does not mean that they have actually measured the speed of light, as their main purpose was to detect the motion of the light pulse rather than accurately measure its speed. This technique is much more difficult than traditional methods of measuring the speed of light and has been used to study fast dynamics in various fields. While there may be things in the universe that move faster than light, it is impossible to record a single frame of them due to the limitations of our technology and the speed of light in a vacuum.
Mohd Abdullah
Had anyone already watched this?
He said they successfully recorded the speed of light using a trillion fps camera that they had created. But isn't light already there even before someone started to record it? Not to mention that light is not actually accelerating.

Thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi,

Mohd Abdullah said:
But isn't light already there even before someone started to record it

No. The light is generated in the laser as a light pulse.

Mohd Abdullah said:
Not to mention that light is not actually accelerating
No one claims that it is accelerating.

BvU said:
Hi,
No. The light is generated in the laser as a light pulse.

No one claims that it is accelerating.

I see. So, is it really they successfully recorded the speed of light?

You can say that, yes. They managed to reconstruct light pulse movement through a scene.

Mohd Abdullah said:
I see. So, is it really they successfully recorded the speed of light?

But was this what they wanted to do? All they stated in the video was to detect the motion the light pulse. They didn't say they wanted to actually measure the speed of light (which can be done in more accurate manner via other means).

BTW, in case anyone mistook this as actually observing the motion of ONE photon, this is not the case. Note the word "photons" being used. The laser is sending a light PULSE, not a single photon at a time.

Zz.

Likes davenn
ZapperZ said:
But was this what they wanted to do? All they stated in the video was to detect the motion the light pulse. They didn't say they wanted to actually measure the speed of light (which can be done in more accurate manner via other means).

BTW, in case anyone mistook this as actually observing the motion of ONE photon, this is not the case. Note the word "photons" being used. The laser is sending a light PULSE, not a single photon at a time.

Zz.

So if I understand you, they don't actually recorded the speed of light. Right?

What do you mean that it can be done in more accurate manner via other means?

Mohd Abdullah said:
So if I understand you, they don't actually recorded the speed of light. Right?

Look at the video again. That wasn't the main purpose of the demo. If you really want to know what they were studying, you need to find the relevant papers that this group has published using this setup.

What do you mean that it can be done in more accurate manner via other means?

This is not the technique used to determine the book or reference value of "c" in vacuum that we all have been using. The CODATA standard describes the methodology on how c was determined.

Zz.

Likes Mohd Abdullah
There weren't measuring the speed of light. They were recording a scene at a high enough rate to discern the motion of a light pulse passing through the scene. They are saying the have slowed the action down so that you can witness things that happen at the speed of light. This is much much harder than merely measuring the speed of light. People have long used similar techniques to witness fast dynamics in chemical reactions for example (look up pump-probe experiments) but you have to be impressed that they can image like this.

Likes Mohd Abdullah and BvU
It's also clear that they use a lot of pulses to make the video. They explained how they use a mirror to scan the scene in one dimension but I wonder if they also use multiple pulses and a time delay to scan in the other dimension? So although they can apparently slow down a pulse its not the same pulse in each frame?

There are published papers regarding those experiments but it seems someone need to pay for it to read it. One of them is an article entitled 'Sequentially timed all-optical mapping photography' by K. Nakagawa and his other members that was published in 10 August 2014. It can be bought online at nature.com. The review is something like "High-speed photography is a powerful tool for studying fast dynamics in photochemistry, spintronics, phononics, fluidics, and plasma physics. Currently, the pump–probe method is the gold standard for time-resolved imaging, but it requires repetitive measurements for image construction and therefore falls short in probing non-repetitive or difficult-to-reproduce events. Here, we present a motion-picture camera that performs single-shot burst image acquisition without the need for repetitive measurements, yet with equally short frame intervals (4.4 trillion frames per second) and high pixel resolution (450 × 450 pixels). The principle of this method—‘motion picture femtophotography’—is all-optical mapping of the target's time-varying spatial profile onto a burst stream of sequentially timed photographs with spatial and temporal dispersion. To show the camera's broad utility we use it to capture plasma dynamics and lattice vibrational waves, both of which were previously difficult to observe with conventional methods in a single shot and in real time."

Thoughts?

Doc Al said:
You might want to check out this MIT news article from about 5 years ago: Trillion-frame-per-second video
Ha! Trillion frames per second! Think how many hard drives it would take to video your grandma's 80th birthday party with that!

Likes Mohd Abdullah
Are there something faster than light in the universe that even no matter how advanced the technology, no matter how fast the camera is, we will never be able to record a single frame of it?

Mohd Abdullah said:
Are there something faster than light in the universe that even no matter how advanced the technology, no matter how fast the camera is, we will never be able to record a single frame of it?

No, there is nothing that moves faster than light.

Drakkith said:
No, there is nothing that moves faster than light.
...in a vacuum.

Light in other media can go a lot slower or even stopped..

The video is not even the record of a single pulse of light, but many pulses, merged with a computer afterwards (~1:30 in the video).

mfb said:
The video is not even the record of a single pulse of light, but many pulses, merged with a computer afterwards (~1:30 in the video).
Exactly. (That was my point in posting the link to the MIT news site earlier. It discusses such 'details'.)

CWatters said:
...in a vacuum.

Light in other media can go a lot slower or even stopped..

But can we stop light in a vacuum?

mfb said:

What is the difference if they record a single pulse of light compare to many pulses of light? Does it mean they didn't really record something moving at the speed of light?

Mohd Abdullah said:
What is the difference if they record a single pulse of light compare to many pulses of light? Does it mean they didn't really record something moving at the speed of light?

They are taking a snapshot of many different pulses. How do you think this is a measurement of the speed of each light pulse?

I take many photos of the vehicles moving in front of my house at various times. Does that mean that I had recorded the speed of each of these vehicles?

Zz.

Mohd Abdullah said:
Does it mean they didn't really record something moving at the speed of light?
Every video camera records light, which moves at the speed of light. And if you move far away enough, the propagation of a light pulse across the field of view can look arbitrarily slow, even on a real time video.

Mohd Abdullah said:
But can we stop light in a vacuum?
No.

ZapperZ said:
They are taking a snapshot of many different pulses. How do you think this is a measurement of the speed of each light pulse?

I take many photos of the vehicles moving in front of my house at various times. Does that mean that I had recorded the speed of each of these vehicles?

Zz.

I will say again that the point here was not to measure the speed of light. However in reply to Zz ...

A snapshot certainly doesn't show EACH cars speed. However if you can believe all of the cars are going the exact same speed, and you trigger a timer when they cross a particular point in the road and you take each of your photographs at precise delay intervals after the trigger then yes the photographs are a precise measure of the shared constant speed of the cars. Constant speed and fixed motion are not required. As long as the cars each perform the exact same movements as they pass, a montage of your photographs ordered by their respective time delays is a precise record of the motion of one and all of them.

The only trick is in believing that they will all do the exact same thing, and with light pulses that is a very good assumption. So even though this is composited from many pulses it is nevertheless a precise record of what each and every pulse did in real time.

Cutter Ketch said:
I will say again that the point here was not to measure the speed of light. However in reply to Zz ...

A snapshot certainly doesn't show EACH cars speed. However if you can believe all of the cars are going the exact same speed, and you trigger a timer when they cross a particular point in the road and you take each of your photographs at precise delay intervals after the trigger then yes the photographs are a precise measure of the shared constant speed of the cars. Constant speed and fixed motion are not required. As long as the cars each perform the exact same movements as they pass, a montage of your photographs ordered by their respective time delays is a precise record of the motion of one and all of them.

The only trick is in believing that they will all do the exact same thing, and with light pulses that is a very good assumption. So even though this is composited from many pulses it is nevertheless a precise record of what each and every pulse did in real time.

Believe me, I know it CAN be done if this is the goal. I measure the speed of electron bunch trains, so this is something I know how to do.

But I am replying to the OP in this context based on what has already been done in this report, not what they can or what is possible to be done. Somehow the OP seems to think that simply having the various snapshots of the different pulses can easily be translated to measuring the speed of these pulses.

Zz.

1. How does a trillion FPS camera work?

A trillion FPS camera uses a technique called compressed ultrafast photography (CUP) to capture images at incredibly high speeds. It works by using a laser to illuminate the subject and then capturing the reflected light with a camera. The camera then uses a series of mirrors and lenses to compress the image into a single frame, allowing for a trillion frames to be captured in just one second.

2. What kind of subjects can be captured with a trillion FPS camera?

A trillion FPS camera can capture a wide range of subjects, from small-scale events like the movement of a cell or the firing of a neuron, to larger-scale events like the breaking of a glass or the explosion of a firework. It is especially useful for capturing extremely fast phenomena that are otherwise invisible to the human eye.

3. What are the potential applications of a trillion FPS camera?

A trillion FPS camera has many potential applications in various fields, including scientific research, engineering, and entertainment. It can be used to study high-speed processes in biology, chemistry, and physics, as well as to improve slow-motion footage in movies and sports events. It can also be used for security and surveillance purposes, as it can capture high-speed events with incredible detail.

4. Are there any limitations to a trillion FPS camera?

While a trillion FPS camera has revolutionized the field of high-speed imaging, it does have some limitations. The camera requires a controlled environment and precise calibration for optimal performance. It also has a limited field of view, meaning it can only capture a small area at a time. Additionally, the data produced by the camera can be massive, requiring powerful computers for analysis and storage.

5. How is a trillion FPS camera different from a regular camera?

A trillion FPS camera differs from a regular camera in several ways. The main difference is the speed at which it captures images. A regular camera typically captures images at a rate of 24-60 frames per second, while a trillion FPS camera can capture a trillion frames per second. Additionally, a trillion FPS camera uses specialized technology, such as CUP, to achieve its high-speed capabilities, whereas a regular camera uses a more traditional shutter mechanism.