Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa

In summary, this rover prototype floats up to the bottom of the surface ice and rolls around looking at things. It has been tested in Alaska and the Antarctic, and theory and observation suggest that the ice shell around Europa is around 15 to 25 kilometers thick. To study such life, any undersea rover would need to be noninvasive and powered by a very limited amount of power.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
NASA has tested a rover to explore the underside of the ice surface of Europa
NASA'a rover prototype floats up to the bottom of the surface ice and rolls around looking at things.
It has been tested in Alaska and the Antarctic.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 4.24.43 PM.png

This NY Times article has videos of it moving around and of what it sees under the Antarctica ice.

• Informative
Likes Ibix, Klystron and anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
How cool is that... :smile:

They would have to get it down there first.
How thick is the ice in/ on Europa?
Get it halfway down and the hole freezes over - poor thing.:nb)

I was wondering about that.
As I recall kilometers thick.

Here's what NASA says:
Theory and observation indicate that Europa's icy shell is around 15 to 25 kilometers (10 to 15 miles) thick, overlying an ocean approximately 60-150 kilometers (40 to 100 miles) deep. Support for this hypothesis comes from observations of pits, domes, and spots on Europa's surface. The size and spacing of the features suggests that they are due to churning within the ice shell, and theory suggests that such churning (called convection) can occur only if the shell is between greater than about 15 kilometers thick. Measurements of the height of domes on Europa (up to a kilometer or just over half a mile high) also suggest that the ice shell must be fairly thick for the domes to be so tall. Some scientists have argued that the ice shell might be thinner, only a few kilometers thick.

berkeman said:
How cool is that... :smile:
0 C.

But yes, I agree. A floating robot ambling around on the underside of ice is rather brilliant. What's its endurance, does anyone know?

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
Maybe nuclear power onboard? Certainly no solar panels down there. Is is plausible that they use nuclear power to melt its way down through the ice cap?

Likes BillTre
This prototype I believe is tethered, for the signals and perhaps power.
On Europa it would have to be on its own.

Likes BillTre
256bits said:
This prototype I believe is tethered, for the signals and perhaps power.
On Europa it would have to be on its own.
I think it would need to be tethered to a lander on the surface. I don't think you can radio through 10 km of ice.

Likes BillTre and 256bits
From the linked article:
A fourth, critical test kept it submerged beneath the ice for 42 hours and 30 minutes. Andy Klesh, the project’s lead engineer, drove the rover using a laptop. While the rover can be piloted via satellite connection, during this mission, Dan Berisford, a mechanical engineer, carefully fed it a thin yellow tether.

and:
To study such life, any undersea rover would need to be noninvasive.“While the thrusters of a normal underwater remote-operated vehicle can jet-blast delicate algaes off the bottom of ice sheets during close encounters, Bruie gently tiptoes beneath them,” said Daniel Arthur, a technologist who works with Caltech and the University of Western Australia.

The rover analyzes the ice-ocean interface passively and at consistent distances, drawing little power — especially relative to submarine-type drones. “Power will be in short supply on Europa,” Dr. Arthur said, “and we don’t want a propeller obliterating humanity’s first encounter with extraterrestrial life.”

Bruie = Buoyant Rover for Under-Ice Exploration

Likes Ibix
Thanks - I recall reading the second sentence of our first quote but missed the first... somehow. o0)

1. What is the purpose of the Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa?

The Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa is designed to explore the icy surface of Jupiter's moon, Europa, and search for signs of potential life in its subsurface ocean.

2. How will the Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa navigate under the ice?

The rover will use a combination of onboard instruments, including cameras, sensors, and a drill, to navigate and collect data under the ice. It will also utilize autonomous navigation technology to navigate autonomously under the ice.

3. What makes the Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa different from other rovers?

The Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa is specifically designed to operate in the extreme conditions of Europa's icy surface. It is equipped with specialized instruments and technology to navigate and collect data under the ice, which has never been done before.

4. How will the Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa communicate with Earth?

The rover will communicate with Earth through a high-gain antenna, which will send and receive data through the Deep Space Network. It will also have a low-gain antenna for backup communication.

5. When is the Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa expected to launch?

The Under-the-Ice Prototype Rover for Europa is currently in the development and testing phase, with a potential launch date in the mid-2020s. However, this is subject to change depending on funding and technical progress.