Undergrad QM Textbook: Scattering, Resonances, Entanglement, Particles

• Quantum
  • Thread starter WWCY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    text
In summary, the conversation is about finding an undergraduate-level quantum mechanics textbook that covers topics such as scattering, resonances, entanglement, identical particles, and QED. The preferred book should have a balance of information and solved problems, and the recommended texts are Bransden and Joachain/Sakurai. However, Sakurai may be too difficult for undergraduate students, so the book "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by J. S. Townsend is also suggested as a lighter alternative with good exercises. The original poster thanks the other person for the recommendation.
WWCY
Hi everyone, I am looking for a undergrad-level QM textbook that covers most of the following topics:

Scattering
Resonances
Entanglement
Identical Particles
QED

Ideally I'm looking for a book that is a cross between the information-dense, reference-handy text of Bransden and Joachain, while having solved problems and examples like those found in Zettili. These are the topics I will be taught in school and it'd be nice to have a text from which I can get more insight/practice. The recommended texts are Bransden and Joachain/Sakurai.

B&J don't seem do much in the "problems" department and I have heard that Sakurai might be inaccessible (content-wise and problems-wise) to undegraduate students. For some reason my course doesn't give us problem sheets to work on, which kind of explains the need for problems.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think that Sakurai may be too high a level, then I definitely recommend J. S. Townsend, A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed. (University Science Books, 2012), which is a sort of "Sakurai light" and has a lot of good exercises.

Likes WWCY
DrClaude said:
If you think that Sakurai may be too high a level, then I definitely recommend J. S. Townsend, A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics, 2nd ed. (University Science Books, 2012), which is a sort of "Sakurai light" and has a lot of good exercises.

I've checked it out and it does look pretty good, thanks for the recommendation!

1. What is the purpose of studying scattering in quantum mechanics?

The study of scattering in quantum mechanics allows us to understand how particles interact with each other and their surroundings. This is important in various fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and condensed matter physics.

2. What are resonances in quantum mechanics?

Resonances in quantum mechanics refer to the temporary states of a system that are formed when the energy of a particle is close to the energy of an unstable state. This leads to a temporary increase in the probability of the particle being found in that state.

3. What is entanglement in quantum mechanics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the state of the other particle, even when they are separated by large distances.

4. How do particles behave in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles behave as both waves and particles. This is known as wave-particle duality. They also exhibit probabilistic behavior, meaning that their exact position and momentum cannot be simultaneously known.

5. What are the differences between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of microscopic objects such as atoms and subatomic particles. In classical mechanics, the behavior of objects is deterministic, while in quantum mechanics, it is probabilistic. Additionally, classical mechanics follows Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics follows the laws of quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation.