Understanding an electron's emission of electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of light from an electron during acceleration or deceleration. The question is whether an electron emits light only during deceleration or also during acceleration, or when acceleration and deceleration alternate. The conversation also touches on the idea of acceleration and deceleration in relation to inertial frames and the generation of light in various light sources. The conclusion is that an electron does emit light during acceleration.
Marvin94
Hi to everybody ! I was thinking about something which confuses me about wave emission.
The question is simply the following:
Does an electron emit light when it accelerate? or just during its deceleration? or maybe when acceleration and deceleration alternates in some order? I'm not really sure, so thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
But doesn't acceleration look like deceleration in some other inertial frame? The emission of photons can't depend on that, only the wavelength and direction of the emitted photons does.

Hm, ok I'm more confused. Can you change the fact that V1 > V0 remaining in the same inertial frame ?

Marvin94 said:
Hi to everybody ! I was thinking about something which confuses me about wave emission.
The question is simply the following:
Does an electron emit light when it accelerate? or just during its deceleration? or maybe when acceleration and deceleration alternates in some order? I'm not really sure, so thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Is a particle moving around in a circle accelerating? If yes, then look up cyclotron radiation.

I can also jiggle a bunch of electrons up and down, as if they are at the end of a spring. Is this both accelerating and decelerating? Yet, this is more than just a silly analogy, because many light sources around the world generate light when relativistic electron bunches passes through a series of wigglers or undulators that cause them to move just that and generate everything from IR to UV to x-ray to hard x-ray. FEL works on such a principle.

Zz.

"Does an electron emit light when it accelerate?"
The simple correct answer is YES.

1. What is an electron's emission of electromagnetic waves?

An electron's emission of electromagnetic waves refers to the process by which an electron releases energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This occurs when the electron transitions from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, emitting a photon of electromagnetic radiation in the process.

2. How does an electron emit electromagnetic waves?

An electron emits electromagnetic waves through a phenomenon known as acceleration. When an electron changes direction or speed, it experiences acceleration, which causes it to emit electromagnetic radiation in the form of photons.

3. What is the relationship between an electron's energy and the frequency of the emitted electromagnetic waves?

The energy of an electron is directly proportional to the frequency of the emitted electromagnetic waves. This means that as the energy of an electron increases, the frequency of the emitted radiation also increases.

4. How do electrons emit different types of electromagnetic waves?

The type of electromagnetic wave emitted by an electron depends on the amount of energy it releases. Lower energy transitions result in the emission of radio waves or microwaves, while higher energy transitions result in the emission of visible light, ultraviolet, or even X-rays.

5. What is the significance of understanding an electron's emission of electromagnetic waves?

Understanding an electron's emission of electromagnetic waves is crucial in many fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of atoms, the properties of materials, and the functioning of electronic devices. It also plays a significant role in technologies such as communication, energy production, and medical imaging.