Understanding Bickley-Naylor Functions: A Guide for Non-Technical Readers

• Thread starter hilbert2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, Wikipedia is a good source for information on math and science topics, but it can have incorrect information.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi,

I just made my first Wikipedia article, about a somewhat obscure special function that is needed in radiative energy transfer problems where there is a participating medium that absorbs part of the thermal or neutron radiation (I personally need these functions in my engineering PhD research topic): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bickley-Naylor_functions

Someone immediately seemed to tag the article as too technical - anyone have an idea how to write this kind of Wiki pages so that people don't need an excessive amount of education to get the basic idea? Maybe I should make some graphs or tables of the function values and add them so people can concretely see that it's just another object that takes a real (or complex) number and converts it to another number.

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks, I added an introduction that clarifies the practical significance and contains a reference to a textbook.

I am glad that the tendency to describe wikipedia as an unacceptable source is reducing.
I always did like the idea, and they have intelligent staff.
Pretty much my idea of what the internet was intended to offer

Likes OCR
^ If you're writing something like a master's or PhD thesis, you need to use sources that have gone through quality control by many experts before publishing (peer-reviewed articles or graduate level textbooks). Wikipedia can have incorrect information because anyone can edit it and it's very possible that there are errors that no one has noticed. In an internet forum discussion it's usually an OK source.

I've edited lots of Wikipedia pages. Eventually, you learn which suggestions will improve your article for most general readers, and which will not. I try and think about the "general reader" who will actually be reading the page rather than the average person on the street when it comes to math and science articles.

Likes OCR
hilbert2 said:
^ If you're writing something like a master's or PhD thesis, you need to use sources that have gone through quality control by many experts before publishing (peer-reviewed articles or graduate level textbooks). Wikipedia can have incorrect information because anyone can edit it and it's very possible that there are errors that no one has noticed. In an internet forum discussion it's usually an OK source.

If you are writing a thesis, YOU are the quality control. I've seen enough mistakes in peer reviewed papers that the authors and editors themselves refuse to fix that I no longer regard peer-reviewed papers as better than Wikipedia in science and math. There is an army of science and math Wikipedia editors out there who do a pretty good job fixing the mistakes. The peer-reviewed literature stinks by comparison.

Of course, the best approach is always consulting many sources rather than trusting any single source. A good Wikipedia article will cite a number of underlying sources, so before relying on its information in any tangible way, those sources should be checked.

Likes OCR
Edit Wikipedia pages just like write thesis:wink:

1. What is the purpose of contributing to Wikipedia?

The purpose of contributing to Wikipedia is to share your knowledge and expertise on a particular topic with the world. By adding or editing information on Wikipedia, you are helping to create a free, reliable source of information for people all over the globe.

2. How do I contribute to Wikipedia?

To contribute to Wikipedia, you can create a new article, edit existing articles, add references or sources, or fix grammatical errors. You can also upload images or media files to enhance an article. All contributions are reviewed by a community of editors to ensure accuracy and neutrality.

3. Do I need to be an expert to contribute to Wikipedia?

No, you do not need to be an expert to contribute to Wikipedia. Wikipedia values contributions from people with a variety of backgrounds and expertise. As long as you are knowledgeable about a topic and provide reliable sources for your information, you can contribute to Wikipedia.

4. How do I ensure my contributions are accurate and unbiased?

Wikipedia has a strict policy of verifiability and neutrality. This means that all information added to Wikipedia must be backed up by reliable sources and presented in a neutral, unbiased manner. Before making any contributions, make sure to thoroughly research your topic and provide credible sources for your information.

5. Can I get credit for my contributions to Wikipedia?

Yes, you can get credit for your contributions to Wikipedia by creating a user account and editing under your username. You can also earn recognition and awards through the Wikipedia community for your contributions. However, the primary goal of contributing to Wikipedia should be to share knowledge and not to seek personal recognition.