Understanding Bland's Example: Free Modules & Directly Finite/Infinite R-Modules

In summary, Bland's Example on page 56 discusses the concept of directly finite and directly infinite R-modules, where R is a ring. Bland's Example shows that if M is the direct sum of a countable number of copies of the ring R, then M is isomorphic to the direct sum of M with itself. This can be proven using a bijection between the natural numbers and even natural numbers, and by representing elements of R as infinite matrices with entries in Z. This bijection also shows that elements of R can be represented as infinite matrices with a "hard start" at the upper left corner.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules ...

Currently I am focused on Section 2.2 Free Modules ... ...

I need some help in order to fully understand Bland's Example on page 56 concerning directly finite and directly infinite R-modules ... ...

Bland's Example on page 56 reads as follows:View attachment 5615
Question 1

In the above Example from Bland's text we read the following:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle M = \bigoplus_\mathbb{N} \mathbb{Z}\), then it follows that \(\displaystyle M \cong M \oplus M\) ... ... "How ... exactly ... do we know that it follows that \(\displaystyle M \cong M \oplus M\) ... ... ?

Question 2In the above Example from Bland's text we read the following:" ... ...\(\displaystyle R = \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M) \cong \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M \oplus M )\)\(\displaystyle \cong \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M) \oplus \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M)\) \(\displaystyle \cong R \oplus R\) ... ... "

Although the above relationships look intuitively reasonable ... how do we know ... formally and rigorously that:\(\displaystyle \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M) \cong \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M \oplus M )\)\(\displaystyle \cong \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M) \oplus \text{ Hom}_\mathbb{Z} (M, M) \)
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Set $\phi: M \oplus M \to M$ by

$\phi[(m_1,m_2,m_3,\dots) \oplus (m'_1,m'_2,m'_3,\dots)] = (m_1,m'_1,m_2,m'_2,m_3,m'_3,\dots)$.

Verify $\phi$ is an isomorphism.

In short, twice a countable infinity is another countable infinity, we have the bijection:

$k \mapsto 2k$ of $\Bbb N$ with $2\Bbb N$ which can be used to create a bijection of $\Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ with $\Bbb N$ by "interlacing pairs into a single stream".

Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". If we call such a matrix $A$, then applying $\phi$ to $A$ gives us an element of $\text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M\oplus M)$, and you can verify this is another isomorphism:

$\text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M) \to \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M \oplus M)$

Such bizarre things happen when the indexing set of a direct sum is infinite.

Deveno said:

$\phi[(m_1,m_2,m_3,\dots) \oplus (m'_1,m'_2,m'_3,\dots)] = (m_1,m'_1,m_2,m'_2,m_3,m'_3,\dots)$.

In short, twice a countable infinity is another countable infinity, we have the bijection:

$k \mapsto 2k$ of $\Bbb N$ with $2\Bbb N$ which can be used to create a bijection of $\Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ with $\Bbb N$ by "interlacing pairs into a single stream".

Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". If we call such a matrix $A$, then applying $\phi$ to $A$ gives us an element of $\text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M\oplus M)$, and you can verify this is another isomorphism:

Thanks Deveno ... appreciate your help ...

Just reflecting on what you have written ...

Peter

Deveno said:

Hi Deveno,

Thanks again for the help ...

You write:

"... ... $k \mapsto 2k$ of $\Bbb N$ with $2\Bbb N$ which can be used to create a bijection of $\Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ with $\Bbb N$ by "interlacing pairs into a single stream".Can you please help by demonstrating exactly how this bijection works ... ...
You also write:

"... ... Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". ... ... Can you please help by giving more details on these matrices (epecially their left corner) and explain how the isomorphism you mention is established ...Thank you again for your invaluable help ...Peter

Peter said:
Hi Deveno,

Thanks again for the help ...

You write:

"... ... $k \mapsto 2k$ of $\Bbb N$ with $2\Bbb N$ which can be used to create a bijection of $\Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ with $\Bbb N$ by "interlacing pairs into a single stream".Can you please help by demonstrating exactly how this bijection works ... ...
You also write:

"... ... Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". ... ... Can you please help by giving more details on these matrices (epecially their left corner) and explain how the isomorphism you mention is established ...Thank you again for your invaluable help ...Peter

The usual way of creating such a bijection is via Cantor's Diagonal Method:

$(1,1) \mapsto 1$
$(1,2) \mapsto 2$
$(2,1) \mapsto 3$
$(1,3) \mapsto 4$
$(2,2) \mapsto 5$
$(3,1) \mapsto 6$
$(1,4) \mapsto 7$
$(2,3) \mapsto 8$
$(3,2) \mapsto 9$
$(4,1) \mapsto 10$
$(1,5) \mapsto 11$
$(2,4) \mapsto 12$
$(3,3) \mapsto 13$

and so on

Deveno said:
The usual way of creating such a bijection is via Cantor's Diagonal Method:

$(1,1) \mapsto 1$
$(1,2) \mapsto 2$
$(2,1) \mapsto 3$
$(1,3) \mapsto 4$
$(2,2) \mapsto 5$
$(3,1) \mapsto 6$
$(1,4) \mapsto 7$
$(2,3) \mapsto 8$
$(3,2) \mapsto 9$
$(4,1) \mapsto 10$
$(1,5) \mapsto 11$
$(2,4) \mapsto 12$
$(3,3) \mapsto 13$

and so on
oh! OK ... ... thanks Deveno ... most helpful ...At the risk of trying your patience ... ... are you able to help with my other question ... ...

That is ...You also write:

"... ... Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". ... ... Can you please help by giving more details on these matrices (epecially their left corner) and explain how the isomorphism you mention is established ...Thanks again for you help ...

Peter

Peter said:
oh! OK ... ... thanks Deveno ... most helpful ...At the risk of trying your patience ... ... are you able to help with my other question ... ...

That is ...You also write:

"... ... Elements of $R = \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$ can be represented as "infinite matrices with entries in $\Bbb Z$ that have a 'hard start' at the upper left corner". ... ... Can you please help by giving more details on these matrices (epecially their left corner) and explain how the isomorphism you mention is established ...Thanks again for you help ...

Peter

I'll also remark here that another way of showing a bijection is by using the Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein Theorem, which states that if there exists an injection $A \to B$ and an injection $B \to A$, then there exists a bijection between them (the link gives the details of its construction), so we have the injections:

$\Bbb N \times \Bbb N \to \Bbb N$ given by

$(k,m) \mapsto 2^k3^m$ (injective by the uniqueness of prime factorization)

and $\Bbb N \to \Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ given by

$k \mapsto (k,1)$

Recall also that in $\bigoplus\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z$, each sequence of integers is "eventually zero", so that in our "infinite matrices" the action of our infinite matrix is equivalent to an action of a finite matrix.

We can represent elements of $M$ as finite sums of $e_i$ where:

$e_i = (0,\dots,0,1,,0,\dots,0,\dots)$ where the sole non-zero entry 1 is in the $i$-th position.

These form a $\Bbb Z$-basis for $M$, and so we can compute the finite sequence, for each $i$, of $A(e_i)$ for $A \in \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$.

This gives us an infinite number of "columns", each of which is only finitely long, but which may be of arbitrary length.

We can (in theory) perform matrix multiplication with two such matrices, because although each row is infinite, after we reach the end of non-zero entries in a column we can ignore the row-entries in the sum:

$\sum a_{ik}b_{kj}$

since for some value of $k = k_0$, we have $b_{kj} = 0$ for all $k > k_0$.

If we regard the basis $\{e_i\}$ as consisting of two identical copies (one tagged with primes), then instead of writing:

$A = (A(e_1),A(e_2),A(e_3),\dots)$ and

$A' = (A'(e'_1),A'(e'_2),A'(e'_3),\dots)$ with:

$A \oplus A' = (A(e_1),A(e_2),A(e_3),\dots)\oplus(A'(e'_1),A'(e'_2),A'(e'_3),\dots)$

we instead consider $A \oplus A'$ as being:

$A \oplus A' = (A(e_1),A'(e'_1),A(e_2),A'(e'_2),\dots)$

both of which are clearly infinitely-rowed matrices with eventually terminating columns.

It is not possible to create such representations for elements of $\text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(\prod\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z,\prod\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z)$ precisely because the sequences may never terminate.

Unfortunately, being a being with only finite resources, I cannot properly display an infinite object.

Deveno said:
I'll also remark here that another way of showing a bijection is by using the Cantor-Schroeder-Bernstein Theorem, which states that if there exists an injection $A \to B$ and an injection $B \to A$, then there exists a bijection between them (the link gives the details of its construction), so we have the injections:

$\Bbb N \times \Bbb N \to \Bbb N$ given by

$(k,m) \mapsto 2^k3^m$ (injective by the uniqueness of prime factorization)

and $\Bbb N \to \Bbb N \times \Bbb N$ given by

$k \mapsto (k,1)$

Recall also that in $\bigoplus\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z$, each sequence of integers is "eventually zero", so that in our "infinite matrices" the action of our infinite matrix is equivalent to an action of a finite matrix.

We can represent elements of $M$ as finite sums of $e_i$ where:

$e_i = (0,\dots,0,1,,0,\dots,0,\dots)$ where the sole non-zero entry 1 is in the $i$-th position.

These form a $\Bbb Z$-basis for $M$, and so we can compute the finite sequence, for each $i$, of $A(e_i)$ for $A \in \text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(M,M)$.

This gives us an infinite number of "columns", each of which is only finitely long, but which may be of arbitrary length.

We can (in theory) perform matrix multiplication with two such matrices, because although each row is infinite, after we reach the end of non-zero entries in a column we can ignore the row-entries in the sum:

$\sum a_{ik}b_{kj}$

since for some value of $k = k_0$, we have $b_{kj} = 0$ for all $k > k_0$.

If we regard the basis $\{e_i\}$ as consisting of two identical copies (one tagged with primes), then instead of writing:

$A = (A(e_1),A(e_2),A(e_3),\dots)$ and

$A' = (A'(e'_1),A'(e'_2),A'(e'_3),\dots)$ with:

$A \oplus A' = (A(e_1),A(e_2),A(e_3),\dots)\oplus(A'(e'_1),A'(e'_2),A'(e'_3),\dots)$

we instead consider $A \oplus A'$ as being:

$A \oplus A' = (A(e_1),A'(e'_1),A(e_2),A'(e'_2),\dots)$

both of which are clearly infinitely-rowed matrices with eventually terminating columns.

It is not possible to create such representations for elements of $\text{Hom}_{\Bbb Z}(\prod\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z,\prod\limits_{\Bbb N} \Bbb Z)$ precisely because the sequences may never terminate.

Unfortunately, being a being with only finite resources, I cannot properly display an infinite object.
Thanks for the help Deveno ... I really appreciate it ...

Now your knowledge of mathematics is excellent ... and your teaching ability is great ... but fully displaying an infinite object is bridge too far ... even for you :(Just working through your post in detail now ...

Peter

1. What is Bland's Example?

Bland's Example is a well-known example in the field of abstract algebra that illustrates the concept of free modules and directly finite/infinite R-modules.

2. What are free modules?

Free modules are modules that have a basis, which is a set of elements that can be used to generate all other elements in the module. This means that any element in the module can be written as a linear combination of the basis elements with coefficients from the underlying ring.

3. What are directly finite/infinite R-modules?

Directly finite R-modules are modules for which every nonzero element has a left inverse, meaning that for any nonzero element x in the module, there exists another element y such that xy=1. On the other hand, directly infinite R-modules do not have this property.

4. How does Bland's Example illustrate these concepts?

Bland's Example involves a specific ring and module construction that demonstrates how free modules can be directly finite or directly infinite over different rings. It helps to clarify the distinction between these two types of modules and how they relate to the underlying ring.

5. Why is Bland's Example important?

Bland's Example is a useful tool for understanding the properties of free modules and directly finite/infinite R-modules. It is often used in introductory abstract algebra courses to illustrate these concepts and their applications in other areas of mathematics and beyond.