Understanding Body Fat Percentages: Lowest Levels for Survival and Maintenance

• Thread starter Amber78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary: You should see a red "Thread deleted" next to the thread you are looking at.In summary, the lowest body fat percentage a person can have, and survive, is around 2%. The lowest body fat percentage a person can maintain, and survive, is around 18%.
Amber78
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Does body fat percentage(s) include all brain fat percentage(s) and all body fat percentage(s)? (When responding to this post) If the answer is 100% yes etc, what is the lowest body fat percentage(s) a person can have, and survive, and what is the lowest body fat percentage(s) a person can maintain, and survive

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is this a homework assignment?

Have you already checked the internet or books for this information?

No my question is:

If human biological tissue has such a low fat percentage that it cannot be maintained and survive- would this have a negative effect on the muscle in that tissue?
If biological tissue has such a low fat percentage that it cannot be maintained and survive- would this have a negative effect on the muscle in that tissue?

dont you need fat to maintain muscle?

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Have you already checked the internet or books for this information?

Amber78 said:
No my question is:

If human biological tissue has such a low fat percentage that it cannot be maintained and survive- would this have a negative effect on the muscle in that tissue?
If biological tissue has such a low fat percentage that it cannot be maintained and survive- would this have a negative effect on the muscle in that tissue?

You didn't answer jedishrfu's question...

no this is not for homework this is just personal curiosity

Amber78 said:
no this is not for homework this is just personal curiosity

You will show some effort, or your thread will be deleted. Your question *could* be for schoolwork -- we have no way of knowing for sure. And it is so easy foir you to show some links and effort toward answering your question here.

yes but i find its rude for you to assume its for schoolwork, and to villify me based on that, without proof- if the burden of proof is on me the only proof I can provide is that I am not in school and I don't know how I would even provide that info, so I think the burden of proof should be on you if you are going to accuse me of that. not to be rude

Amber78 said:
yes but i find its rude for you to assume its for schoolwork, and to villify me based on that, without proof- if the burden of proof is on me the only proof I can provide is that I am not in school and I don't know how I would even provide that info, so I think the burden of proof should be on you if you are going to accuse me of that. not to be rude

Please check your warning conversation thread...

i have no idea where that is

Amber78 said:
i have no idea where that is

You should have gotten "Alerts" for each post in the conversation. Alternately, pull down "My PF", and click on Conversations.

Related to Understanding Body Fat Percentages: Lowest Levels for Survival and Maintenance

What is body fat percentage and why is it important to understand?

Body fat percentage is the proportion of fat in the body compared to the rest of the body's tissues. It is important to understand because it can have significant impacts on overall health and wellness. Excess body fat has been linked to a higher risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.

What is the lowest body fat percentage that is considered healthy for survival?

The lowest body fat percentage that is considered healthy for survival varies depending on age, gender, and individual body composition. However, a body fat percentage below 5% for men and 12% for women is generally considered too low for survival as it can lead to impaired immune function, hormonal imbalances, and other health issues.

What is the lowest body fat percentage that is considered healthy for maintenance?

The lowest body fat percentage that is considered healthy for maintenance also varies based on age, gender, and individual body composition. Generally, a body fat percentage between 8-19% for men and 21-33% for women is considered a healthy range for maintenance. However, this can also vary depending on factors such as muscle mass and overall fitness level.

How can body fat percentage be accurately measured?

There are several methods for measuring body fat percentage, including skinfold calipers, bioelectrical impedance analysis, and DEXA scans. Each method has its own level of accuracy and reliability, and it is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best method for you.

What are some factors that can influence body fat percentage?

Body fat percentage can be influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits. Age and gender also play a role, as hormones and body composition can change over time. It is important to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle to help manage body fat percentage.