Understanding De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem

In summary: Evaluating the 1 form one the tangent vectors to the cycle. This is just a line integral.But how can you integrate a one form, without a vector? A one-form is a function, so in order to integrate it, you need to give it some values. Where does it takes the vectors from? Are the tangent vectors to the cycle?In general, if you can parametrise a ##p##-dimensional sub-manifold ##M## with ##p## parameters ##t_1## to ##t_p##, the integral of the ##p##-form ##\omega## over that sub-manifold is given by$$\int_M \omega = \int_{
Silviu
Hello! I am reading this paper and on page 9 it defines the De Rham's period as ##\int_C \omega = <C,\omega>##, where C is a cycle and ##\omega## is a closed one form i.e. ##d\omega = 0##. The author says that ##<C,\omega>:\Omega^p(M) \times C_p(M) \to R##. I am a bit confused by this, as ##\omega## is an one-form so in order to give a real number it needs a vector, while here it receives a cycle, which I am not sure it is a vector. Does the author mean by this that you apply ##\omega## to the vector tangent at the cycle C on the manifold at each point and add up the values? Also he then uses this in association with Stokes theorem. However the ##\omega## appearing in the Stokes theorem is not necessary closed (##d\omega## is), so why can he still use the De Rham period there? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I am reading this paper and on page 9 it defines the De Rham's period as ##\int_C \omega = <C,\omega>##, where C is a cycle and ##\omega## is a closed one form i.e. ##d\omega = 0##. The author says that ##<C,\omega>:\Omega^p(M) \times C_p(M) \to R##. I am a bit confused by this, as ##\omega## is an one-form so in order to give a real number it needs a vector, while here it receives a cycle, which I am not sure it is a vector. Does the author mean by this that you apply ##\omega## to the vector tangent at the cycle C on the manifold at each point and add up the values? Also he then uses this in association with Stokes theorem. However the ##\omega## appearing in the Stokes theorem is not necessary closed (##d\omega## is), so why can he still use the De Rham period there? Thank you!

He means to integrate the 1 form over the cycle.

lavinia said:
He means to integrate the 1 form over the cycle.
But how can you integrate a one form, without a vector? A one-form is a function, so in order to integrate it, you need to give it some values. Where does it takes the vectors from? Are the tangent vectors to the cycle?

Silviu said:
But how can you integrate a one form, without a vector? A one-form is a function, so in order to integrate it, you need to give it some values. Where does it takes the vectors from? Are the tangent vectors to the cycle?

Evaluating the 1 form one the tangent vectors to the cycle. This is just a line integral.

Silviu said:
In general, if you can parametrise a ##p##-dimensional sub-manifold ##M## with ##p## parameters ##t_1## to ##t_p##, the integral of the ##p##-form ##\omega## over that sub-manifold is given by
$$
\int_M \omega = \int_{M^*} \omega(\dot\gamma_1, \dot \gamma_2, \ldots, \dot\gamma_p) dt_1 \ldots dt_p,
$$
where ##\dot\gamma_i## is the tangent vector to the coordinate line of ##t_i## and ##M^*## is the region in the parameter space that maps to ##M##.

I personally recommend you make a more thorough study of calculus of diffferential forms than the very brief sketch in this paper. you won't regret it. here is a free course on it from a professor at cornell. at least read the section on integration of one forms.

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~sjamaar/manifolds/manifold.pdf

1. What is De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem?

De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and topology that relates the integral of a differential form over a manifold to its boundary. It provides a powerful tool for evaluating integrals in multi-dimensional spaces.

2. What is the significance of De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem in mathematics?

De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem has wide applications in various branches of mathematics, including differential geometry, topology, and physics. It helps in understanding the concept of integration in higher dimensions and plays a crucial role in the development of modern mathematical theories.

3. What is the difference between De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus deals with the relation between differentiation and integration in one-dimensional spaces, while De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem extends this concept to higher dimensions. It also takes into account the topology of the space, making it a more general and powerful tool for evaluating integrals.

4. How is De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem related to differential forms?

De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem involves the integration of differential forms, which are mathematical objects that generalize the concept of a function. These forms can be integrated over a manifold, and the theorem provides a way to relate this integral to the boundary of the manifold.

5. Can De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem be applied in real-world problems?

Yes, De Rham's Period and Stokes Theorem have many practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving the flow of fluids, electromagnetism, and many other real-world scenarios that require the evaluation of integrals in multi-dimensional spaces.