Understanding Galileo's Theory of Acceleration

In summary: V(x_0)}$$In summary, This discussion addresses a body in free fall - and it specifically addresses the effects of gravity. The original explanation provided to @Huzaifa (in post #1) looked good to me.
Huzaifa
I am not able to understand the following paragraph from my Physics textbook;

"The velocity of an object, in general, changes during its course of motion. Should it be described as the rate of change in velocity with distance or with time? This was a problem even in Galileo's time. It was first thought that this change could be described by the rate of change of velocity with distance. But, through his studies of motion of freely falling objects and motion of objects on an inclined plane, Galileo concluded that the rate of change of velocity with time is a constant of motion for all objects in free fall. On the other hand, the change in velocity with distance is not constant - it decreases with the increasing distance of fall. This led to the concept of acceleration as the rate of change of velocity with time."

Physics news on Phys.org
This discussion addresses a body in free fall - and it specifically addresses the effects of gravity.
For the kind of small-scale experiments that Galileo was using (non-orbital), the position of an object in free-fall can be described with a constant acceleration value ##a##. The formula for the height (##y##) is (##y = at^2/2##) - thus it is a function of time (##t##).

The vertical velocity (##v##) as a function of time (##t##), the starting velocity (##v_0##), and acceleration due to gravity (##a##) is quite simply: ##v=v_0+(at)##.

But before Galileo deduced these formulae, it was possible that this change in velocity would turn out to be easier to express as a function of distance. Careful experimentation nailed the formula - and it turned out to be a function of ##t##.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk and Huzaifa
.Scott said:
The vertical velocity (v) as a function of time (t) and the starting velocity (v0) and acceleration due to gravity (a) is quote simple: v=v0+(at2/2).
Please correct this. Also I don't really understand your explanation

Likes .Scott
hutchphd said:
Please correct this. Also I don't really understand your explanation
First: I notice that when you quoted my post, you didn't pick up the LaTex correctly - or at least it is not showing correctly in your post as I got it. Hopefully, that is not a cause for confusion.

I fixed the formula (oops) and a few typos (ex, "Care" is now "Careful").

The original explanation provided to @Huzaifa (in post #1) looked good to me. I restated parts of it with a bit more detail - hoping that @Huzaifa would catch on. It's always difficult to try to guess why someone doesn't catch something. In this case, I suspect that the problem is missing pieces of context. But we will only know when @Huzaifa says "got it".

Likes Huzaifa and hutchphd
.Scott said:
Careful experimentation nailed the formula - and it turned out to be a function of t.
I don't think that's necessarily a universal rule, though. Galileo was studying a particularly simple form of accelerated motion. Isn't is just a matter of the process of the Maths involved? If you take a compound pendulum (or an arrangement of a mass on multiple springs) the force (=acceleration) is a direct function of position and time can be a bit secondary - perhaps not really relevant. There would be alternative ways of presenting a description of the motion and, often, time is a good way but the path is often more convenient form of description. The destination of a shell's trajectory is what counts and time is only a step on the way to the answer.

But this is all a matter of opinion and can lead us to Top Trumps if we're not careful.

Likes Huzaifa
sophiecentaur said:
I don't think that's necessarily a universal rule, though. Galileo was studying a particularly simple form of accelerated motion.
According to the OP:
... through his studies of motion of freely falling objects and motion of objects on an inclined plane, Galileo concluded ...
So I was answering within the context of acceleration due to gravity.
Acceleration due to friction, rocket engines, etc would each have their own equations.

Likes Huzaifa and sophiecentaur
Huzaifa said:
I am not able to understand the following paragraph from my Physics textbook;
It's a discussion of which of two definitions is more useful. If you divide a change in velocity by the distance an object travels during that change in velocity you get a quantity that is less useful.

Likes Huzaifa and DaveE
However in some problems, the differential equation for velocity/speed is such that we can find a close form for the velocity as function of distance ##v(x)## but can't find a close form for the velocity as function of time ##v(t)##.

It is on these problems that we use the chain rule trick to get rid of ##\frac{dv}{dt}## as $$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}$$

Likes Richard R Richard, Huzaifa and DaveE
Usually this form of the equations of motion occurs when you have an effectively one-dimensional problem and energy conservation holds. Then you have something like (here written for a usual cartesian component ##x## and the corresponding velocity ##v=\dot{x}##)
$$\frac{m}{2} v^2+V(x)=E.$$
Then you can solve for ##v(x)##
$$v(x)=\pm \sqrt{2m [E-V(x)]}.$$
From this you get a solution in implicit form since ##\dot{x}=v(x)## can be integrated by "separation",
$$t-t_0=\pm \int_{x_0}^x \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m[E-V(x)]}}.$$
You have to carefully deal with the signs of the square root to get the correct solution!

Likes Richard R Richard, Huzaifa and Delta2

1. What is Galileo's theory of acceleration?

Galileo's theory of acceleration states that all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate in a vacuum. This means that the acceleration due to gravity is constant and independent of the mass of the object.

2. How did Galileo come up with this theory?

Galileo conducted experiments by rolling objects down inclined planes and measuring their acceleration. He found that the acceleration was constant and independent of the mass of the object, which led him to develop his theory of acceleration.

3. How does Galileo's theory of acceleration differ from Aristotle's theory of motion?

Aristotle believed that heavier objects would fall faster than lighter objects. Galileo's theory of acceleration challenged this belief by showing that all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass.

4. What are the implications of Galileo's theory of acceleration?

Galileo's theory of acceleration revolutionized our understanding of motion and gravity. It paved the way for Isaac Newton's laws of motion and universal gravitation, which are still used today to explain the behavior of objects in the universe.

5. How is Galileo's theory of acceleration relevant in modern science?

Galileo's theory of acceleration is still relevant in modern science as it forms the basis of our understanding of gravity and the laws of motion. It has also been confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.