Understanding Gauss's Law in Cylindrical Shells of Non-Infinite Length

In summary, the field inside a cylindrical shell of finite length (and open ends) is not zero unless the ends are closed. The field is zero at the two ends of the shell, but increases as you move away from those points.
PhDnotForMe
My question is going to be rather specific. I am trying to understand how Gauss's law applies to this scenario. I know if a cylindrical shell is infinitely long, and there is an external electric field, the inside of the shell will have an electric field of zero everywhere. I am wondering what happens when the shell is not infinitely long. I would assume the general answer would be no, the electric field inside the cylindrical shell would not be zero.

But what if we introduce symmetry. Say we have a cylindrical open shell with h=8 units and r=0.5 units and we put it through the hole of a washer so that each endpoint of the shell is 4 units away from the washer. We give the washer a positive charge. Will the inside of the cylindrical shell be zero everywhere? And if not, why not and which regions of the inside of the shell would have the highest electric field? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Before you take on this question, try a simpler one: Why is the field not zero everywhere inside a cylindrical shell of finite length (and open ends - if the ends are closed the field will be zero inside no matter what).

Nugatory said:
Before you take on this question, try a simpler one: Why is the field not zero everywhere inside a cylindrical shell of finite length (and open ends - if the ends are closed the field will be zero inside no matter what).
My answer to this would be because it is not infinite or closed. What do you think is the answer?

PhDnotForMe said:
My answer to this would be because it is not infinite or closed.
Yes, but why is it that that way? Why is it that the field is non-zero inside a tube of finite length but zero inside a tube of infinite length? That's an easier question to answer: you can look at the proof that the field is zero for the infinite tube; identify the point at which it depends on the infinite length; and imagine how the field will behave without that assumption.

And once you've gone through that exercise, you'll be able to see for yourself what's going on in the more complex problem in your orignal post.

Last edited:
Likes PhDnotForMe and berkeman

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is named after the German mathematician and physicist, Carl Friedrich Gauss.

What are cylindrical shells of non-infinite length?

Cylindrical shells of non-infinite length refer to a type of surface used in Gauss's Law calculations. They are cylindrical surfaces with a finite length, rather than extending infinitely in both directions.

How is Gauss's Law applied to cylindrical shells of non-infinite length?

In order to apply Gauss's Law to cylindrical shells of non-infinite length, the surface is divided into infinitesimal cylindrical shells, with each shell having a uniform charge density. The electric flux through each shell is then calculated and integrated over the entire surface to determine the total electric flux.

What is the significance of understanding Gauss's Law in cylindrical shells of non-infinite length?

Understanding Gauss's Law in cylindrical shells of non-infinite length allows for the calculation of the electric field at any point outside a charged cylindrical shell. This is useful in many applications, such as designing electrical circuits or analyzing the behavior of charged particles.

What are some common misconceptions about Gauss's Law in cylindrical shells of non-infinite length?

One common misconception is that Gauss's Law only applies to infinite surfaces. However, it can also be applied to surfaces with finite lengths, such as cylindrical shells. Another misconception is that the electric field inside a charged cylindrical shell is always zero, when in fact it can vary depending on the charge distribution within the shell.