Understanding Green's Theorem in 2-Dimensional Vector Fields

So, in summary, you were almost there, but just had some sign errors and improper parameterizations. Keep up the good work!
member 428835
Hi PF!

So let's say I have some vector field, call it ##\vec{F}## and let ##\vec{F}## be 2-Dimensional and suppose I wanted to compute ##\iint_D \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dD##. Using green's theorem we could write ##\iint_D \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dD = - \int_{\partial D} \vec{F} \cdot \hat n dS## where ##\hat n## is the outward oriented surface normal. Now if ##D = [0,1] \times [0,1]## I may use the formula to find the solution. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? $$\int_{\partial D} \vec{F} \cdot \hat n dS = \int_0^1 \vec{F} \cdot (- \hat j)dx + \int_0^1 \vec{F} \cdot ( \hat i)dy+\int_1^0 \vec{F} \cdot (\hat j)dx+\int_1^0 \vec{F} \cdot (\hat i)dx$$

I know there is another way to write Green's Theorem but how to do it this way?

Thanks a ton!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me out! I'm not looking for an answer, just looking for what I am doing wrong.

For the record what I have on the R.H.S is what is wrong.

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

So let's say I have some vector field, call it ##\vec{F}## and let ##\vec{F}## be 2-Dimensional and suppose I wanted to compute ##\iint_D \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dD##. Using green's theorem we could write ##\iint_D \nabla \cdot \vec{F} dD = - \int_{\partial D} \vec{F} \cdot \hat n dS## where ##\hat n## is the outward oriented surface normal. Now if ##D = [0,1] \times [0,1]## I may use the formula to find the solution. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? $$\int_{\partial D} \vec{F} \cdot \hat n dS = \int_0^1 \vec{F} \cdot (- \hat j)dx + \int_0^1 \vec{F} \cdot ( \hat i)dy+\int_1^0 \vec{F} \cdot (\hat j)dx+\int_1^0 \vec{F} \cdot (\hat i)dx$$

I know there is another way to write Green's Theorem but how to do it this way?

Thanks a ton!

Josh

You've almost got it, except for the errant - sign in the red equation, and the latter two integrals, which are not proper line integrals, as the upper limit must be greater than the lower limit (or you must used a signed differential to represent that they are parameterized in the opposite orientation to the prior two integrals. Either way is fine.) Using a standard positive differential, we could use the following explicit parameterizations to traverse the unit square in the counterclockwise orientation:
[tex]r_1(t) = (t, 0), 0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]r_2(t) = (1, t), 0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]r_3(t) = (1 - t, 1), 0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]r_4(t) = (0, 1 - t), 0\leq t \leq 1[/tex]
And your integrals would then be:
[tex]\int_0^1 \vec{F}(t, 0) \cdot (- \hat j)\, dt + \int_0^1 \vec{F}(1, t) \cdot ( \hat i)\, dt+\int_0^1 \vec{F}(1 - t, 1) \cdot (\hat j)\, dt+\int_0^1 \vec{F}(0, 1 - t) \cdot (-\hat i)\, dt[/tex]
When it comes to vector calculus, you just have to be very careful about orientations. They are as sneaky as sign errors. :-)

Related to Understanding Green's Theorem in 2-Dimensional Vector Fields

What is Green's Theorem Applied?

Green's Theorem Applied is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a region in a plane by integrating along the boundaries of the region. It is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus and is commonly used in physics and engineering.

How is Green's Theorem Applied used?

To use Green's Theorem Applied, one must first identify the boundaries of the region and represent the boundaries as a closed curve. Then, the theorem is applied by calculating the line integral along the curve, which yields the area of the region.

What are the advantages of using Green's Theorem Applied?

One of the main advantages of using Green's Theorem Applied is its ability to simplify complex integration problems by converting them into simpler line integrals. It also allows for the calculation of areas of irregularly shaped regions, which may be difficult to do using traditional methods.

What are some real-world applications of Green's Theorem Applied?

Green's Theorem Applied has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the work done by a force, the circulation of a fluid, and the moment of inertia of a rigid body, among other things.

Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem Applied?

While Green's Theorem Applied is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to regions that are simple and have a well-defined boundary. It also assumes that the curve is smooth and does not have any sharp corners.