Understanding Heat: The Role of Infrared Radiation and Mechanical Motion

• Thread starter jnorman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, heat is transported from the sun to the Earth by radiation, but is often described as the rapid oscillation of atoms or molecules. When i touch something that is hot, am i feeling the motion of the molecules on the surface of the object, or am i feeling IR eminating from the surface of the object? If it is due to radiation, why is infrared the major carrier, as opposed to higher energy radiation? If it is mechanical motion, why wouldn't higher energy radiation cause more agitation of atoms and molecules than lower energy radiation? Thanks.
jnorman
is heat simply the mechanical motion of atoms and molecules, or is it the absorption of infrared radiation?

heat is transported from the sun to the Earth by radiation, but is often described as the rapid oscillation of atoms or molecues. when i touch something that is hot, am i feeling the motion of the molecules on the surface of the object, or am i feeling IR eminating from the surface of the object?

if it is due to radiation, why is infrared the major carrier, as opposed to higher energy radiation? perhaps because atoms and molecules are most likely to be able to absorb and re-emit these frequencies? if it is mechanical motion, why wouldn't higher energy radiation cause more agitation of atoms and molecules than lower energy radiation?

thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Heat is kinetic energy. Radiation has to be absorbed in order for it to heat up an object. A gamma ray photon will impart far more energy to an atom or molecule than an infrared photon it just has to be absorbed first.

Last edited:
jnorman said:
is heat simply the mechanical motion of atoms and molecules, or is it the absorption of infrared radiation?

heat is transported from the sun to the Earth by radiation, but is often described as the rapid oscillation of atoms or molecues. when i touch something that is hot, am i feeling the motion of the molecules on the surface of the object, or am i feeling IR eminating from the surface of the object?

if it is due to radiation, why is infrared the major carrier, as opposed to higher energy radiation? perhaps because atoms and molecules are most likely to be able to absorb and re-emit these frequencies? if it is mechanical motion, why wouldn't higher energy radiation cause more agitation of atoms and molecules than lower energy radiation?

thanks.

I think you are confusing "heat" with internal energy. Substances have internal energy due to the motion of atoms, molecules, electrons, photons, etc., but that energy can be transported to the surroundings as either heat transfer or work transfer. In thermodynamics, we have to be careful to talk about "heat transfer" and "work transfer" and not "stored heat" or "stored work" because the latter are not viable concepts in general. For example, we can add heat to the gas in a cylinder, or do work on it, and the stored energy does not come with a label that says "this is stored heat" and "this is stored work" -- it's all just internal energy.

In essence, heat transfer is energy exchanged between a system and its surroundings because of a temperature difference, while work transfer is energy exchanged through a generalized force. Generalized forces include tensile and compressive forces, torques, pressure, and even electric fields.

I should add that internal energy can include potential energy, also, in addition to kinetic energy. For example, if you transfer energy to a crystalline solid, the atoms oscillate about their equilibrium positions, having both kinetic energy and elastic potential energy, and the amount of energy stored reflects both kinetic and potential terms.

BBB

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects of different temperatures. It is often referred to as thermal energy and is measured in units of joules.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred in three ways: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. Why do objects feel warm or cold to the touch?

Objects feel warm or cold to the touch because of the transfer of heat energy between the object and our skin. When an object has a higher temperature than our skin, heat is transferred from the object to our skin, making it feel warm. When an object has a lower temperature than our skin, heat is transferred from our skin to the object, making it feel cold.

4. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of the objects, and the distance between them. The type of heat transfer also plays a role, as convection and radiation can transfer heat at a faster rate than conduction.

5. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). The amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius is equal to 1 calorie. In scientific calculations, heat is often measured in joules, where 1 calorie is equal to 4.184 joules.