Understanding Henkin Theory: Addressing Questions and Clarifications

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mathelogician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adding proper constants to all 'existential formed' sentences in a theory T to create a new theory T*. The question arises as to what remains from these formulas and whether the lemma 3.1.8 can be used to address the issue. Another question is whether the axiom set of T* is the same as what is mentioned in the image or if there should be a different axiom set. The expert explains that by adding constants, new existential formulas are created, but it is not necessary for them to have witnesses. They also clarify that while the axioms added to T to form T* are not existential formulas, for T* to be a Henkin theory, all existential formulas in the
Mathelogician
Look at the picture; i need to know why the red part holds?
I mean in T*, we have added proper constants to all 'existential formed' sentences of T. So what would remain from such formulas that the red part mentions and that we use the lemma 3.1.8 to overcome the problem?

- - - Updated - - -

And the other question is that is the axiom set of T* what is said in the image or there must be a Gama instead of T in the definition 3.1.6?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathelogician said:
I mean in T*, we have added proper constants to all 'existential formed' sentences of T. So what would remain from such formulas that the red part mentions and that we use the lemma 3.1.8 to overcome the problem?
By adding constants, we added new existential formulas: the ones that contain new constants. It does not follow from anywhere that these formulas should have witnesses. Now, I don't have a good example of a theory $T$ such that $T^*$ is not a Henkin theory. I would be very interested in such example because all textbooks that I saw simply give the proof, but don't motivate it with examples.

Mathelogician said:
And the other question is that is the axiom set of T* what is said in the image or there must be a Gama instead of T in the definition 3.1.6?
By $\Gamma$ you must mean an axiom set of $T$. Yes, if $T$ has an axiom set $\Gamma$ different from itself, $T$ can be replaced with $\Gamma$ in the definition of $T^*$. It does not matter because we are interested in the theory as a whole. There is no harm in declaring all theorems of $T$ axioms. In particular, there is no requirement in this section that the axiom set should be finite.

By adding constants, we added new existential formulas: the ones that contain new constants.
You mean that a formula of the form ( Ex A(x) -> A(c) ) for some constant c, is also a formula of existential form? I thought a formula of existential form is of form Ex (Ax).
May you explain more?

Mathelogician said:
You mean that a formula of the form ( Ex A(x) -> A(c) ) for some constant c, is also a formula of existential form? I thought a formula of existential form is of form Ex (Ax).
No, I agree that existential formulas are of the form ∃x A(x). And yes, the axioms we added to T to form T* are not existential formulas. But in order for T* to be a Henkin theory, we must take all existential formulas ∃x A(x) (and not just axioms) in the language of T*, i.e., L with added constants, and make sure that ∃x A(x) -> A(c) ∈ T* for some c ∈ L*.

For example, suppose that L has a unary functional symbol f and L* adds a new constant c that is not in L. Then ∃x f(x) = c is an existential formula in L* but not in L. Since it is not in the language L, there is no requirement that we add its witness when forming T*. But for T* to be a Henkin theory, ∃x f(x) = c must have a witness in T*, and so far there are no reasons for this.

Thank you for your questions about Henkin Theory. The red part in the image represents the added proper constants in T*, which are used to satisfy the existential quantifiers in sentences of T. This ensures that there is a model for T* that satisfies all the sentences of T. In other words, the red part helps to guarantee the consistency of T* by providing a model for all the sentences of T.

Regarding your second question, the axiom set of T* is what is stated in the image, where T is the original theory and T* is the extended theory with proper constants. There is no need for a Gama in the definition 3.1.6. I hope this clarifies your doubts. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Understanding Henkin Theory: Addressing Questions and Clarifications

1. What is Henkin theory?

Henkin theory is a mathematical theory that deals with first-order logic and its completeness. It was developed by Leon Henkin in the 1950s as a way to prove the completeness of first-order logic. It is also used in model theory and proof theory.

2. What is the importance of Henkin theory?

Henkin theory is important because it provides a way to prove the completeness of first-order logic, which is a fundamental part of mathematical logic. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as model theory and proof theory.

3. What is the difference between Henkin theory and Godel's completeness theorem?

Henkin theory and Godel's completeness theorem are both used to prove the completeness of first-order logic. However, Henkin theory relies on the notion of a Henkin model, while Godel's completeness theorem uses the concept of a maximally consistent set. Additionally, Henkin theory is a weaker form of completeness compared to Godel's theorem.

4. How is Henkin theory used in model theory?

In model theory, Henkin theory is used to prove the completeness of first-order logic. It is also used to construct models for theories that are not finitely axiomatizable. Additionally, Henkin models are used to show the consistency of theories.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of Henkin theory?

One limitation of Henkin theory is that it only applies to first-order logic and cannot be extended to higher-order logics. Additionally, there have been criticisms of the notion of a Henkin model, with some arguing that it is too artificial and does not accurately capture the concept of a model. However, Henkin theory remains an important tool in mathematical logic despite these criticisms.