Understanding how electromagnetic pulse works

In summary, electromagnetic pulses (EMPs) can cause damage to electronic devices, but are not as harmful to people. Deliberate EMPs, such as those from atomic bombs, are more dangerous. Ordinary people cannot easily produce powerful EMPs as the materials are regulated by the government. The threat of a large-scale EMP capable of devastating a power grid is minimal and cannot be created with car parts.
Tio Barnabe
I heard about electromagnetic pulse, that it can cause damage to electronic devices if one intentionally shots out such a burst. But I wonder, wouldn't that person him/herself be affected by the pulse? I mean, the pulse would work like a lighting. So that person could even die by his/her own hands.
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I heard about electromagnetic pulse, that it can cause damage to electronic devices if one intentionally shots out such a burst. But I wonder, wouldn't that person him/herself be affected by the pulse? I mean, the pulse would work like a lighting. So that person could even die by his/her own hands.
Am I right?
EMPs (Electromagnetic Pulses) are far better at destroying electronic equipment than in harming people.
Lightning is a form of EMP that can harm people. But the most notorious deliberate man-made EMPs come from atomic bombs - particularly those detonated high in the atmosphere.

See this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

.Scott said:
EMPs (Electromagnetic Pulses) are far better at destroying electronic equipment than in harming people.
hmm, ok. Is there a way for ordinary people to produce such devices? Remembering that I'm interested on this topic because I'm concerned the threat we could potentially being under.

Tio Barnabe said:
hmm, ok. Is there a way for ordinary people to produce such devices? Remembering that I'm interested on this topic because I'm concerned the threat we could potentially being under.
It depends on what you are trying to do with it. A poorly designed electric motor will interfere with radio reception within you home. If you want anything more menacing, the Federal Communications Commission will require that you keep it contained.

Unless you include things like tasers, EMP devices don't make for especially good antipersonnel devices. Generally speaking, a big stick could cause more damage.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Higher power arc welders and arc furnaces can produce troublesome levels of EMP . Quite enough in the near field to corrupt and sometimes permanently damage computer equipment and other sensitive electronic equipment .

Likes Tio Barnabe and anorlunda
Tio Barnabe said:

When you ask about the "threat" my assumption is that you're referring to a weapons system rather than accidentally creating a harmful EMP from a household tool. If that's the case, no, an "ordinary" person cannot produce such a device because the materials required to do so are highly regulated and controlled by the government.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Tio Barnabe said:

The threat is minimal. Anything short of a nuclear weapon will produce an EMP with only a relatively small radius and even these devices are not trivial to make.

Likes Tio Barnabe
XZ923 said:
the materials required to do so are highly regulated and controlled by the government
So that story about constructing one such device using car engine pieces and so doesn't work?

Tio Barnabe said:
So that story about constructing one such device using car engine pieces and so doesn't work?

I honestly haven't heard such a story; if you can post it I'd love to read it. An automotive alternator can certainly drive a device capable of producing low-level pulses, but that's barely enough to worry about even on a trivial level. I rebuild and test alternators with credit cards in my pocket all the time, never had a problem. However, a weapons-grade EMP of the level typically being alluded to in a "threat" regard is a byproduct of a nuclear explosion at a very high altitude. That is orders of magnitude beyond what anything on a car is capable of.

Again, I'm going off your characterization of the EMP being a "threat we're living under". I assume from this that you're referring to a large-scale EMP capable of devastating a developed nation's power grid. You can't do that with car parts (that I know of or could possibly conceive of). If you're concerned about a disgruntled junkyard owner putting some pieces together and wiping out the grid I think you can rest easy.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Oh, I got it. Thanks!

1. What exactly is an electromagnetic pulse (EMP)?

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation that can disrupt or damage electronic devices and systems. It is typically caused by a sudden and intense release of energy, such as a nuclear explosion or a solar storm.

2. How does an EMP affect electronics?

An EMP can induce voltage spikes and currents in electronic devices, overwhelming and damaging their circuits. This can result in malfunctions, data loss, or complete shutdown of the device. In some cases, an EMP can even permanently damage the device.

3. Can an EMP be prevented or shielded against?

Yes, there are various methods to protect against EMPs. One way is to use Faraday cages, which are structures made of conductive material that can block or divert the electromagnetic waves. Another method is to use surge protectors and filters to limit the amount of energy that reaches the electronic device.

4. Are there any potential dangers or risks associated with EMPs?

EMP events can have significant consequences, such as widespread power outages, disruption of communication systems, and damage to critical infrastructure. This can have serious impacts on society, including transportation, healthcare, and financial systems.

5. How can we better prepare for EMP events?

There are ongoing efforts to develop and implement EMP protection measures, both at the individual and societal level. This includes research on advanced shielding materials, backup power systems, and emergency response plans. It is important for governments, organizations, and individuals to be aware of the potential risks and take proactive steps to mitigate the impact of EMP events.