Understanding Image & Pre-Image: An Example

In summary, the conversation was discussing the pre-image of a function defined as ##f(x)=x^{2}## with a domain of ##[-1,2]## and a range of ##\mathbb{R}##. The correct pre-image was determined to be ##[-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}]##, and the use of double hashtags for latex formulas was recommended. The conversation then continued to discuss the inclusion of certain values in the pre-image and the possibility of changing domains to complex numbers.
mikeyBoy83
I'm trying to understand image and pre image better but I am having a hard time finding good examples.

So here is one I did come across, let's say ##f:\mathbb{R} →\mathbb{R}## defined by ##f(x)=x^{2}##. Suppose also that ##D = [-1,2]## where ##D\subset \mathbb{R}##. If I'm looking for ##f^{-1}(D)## then I can only use ##D\setminus [-1,0)## in which case ##f^{-1}(D)=[-\sqrt{2},\sqrt{2}]##correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not correct. Rather, ##f^{-1}(D) = [-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}]##, since ##f^{-1}(D)## is defined as the set of all ##x## such that ##f(x) \in D##. Also you can use ##D## and the inverse image is always well defined, even if ##D## is not completely contained in the range ##f(\mathbb{R})##. In fact, ##f^{-1}((-\infty, 2]) = [-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}]##.

P.S. You really want double hashtags to begin and end a latex formula, rather than code

Lucas SV said:
Not correct. Rather, ##f^{-1}(D) = [0, \sqrt{2}]##, since ##f^{-1}(D)## is defined as the set of all ##x## such that ##f(x) \in D##.

P.S. You really want double hashtags to begin and end a latex formula, rather than code

Can you explain why ## f^{-1}(D) = [0,\sqrt{2}]## ? Why would we not include ##[-\sqrt{2},0]## in our pre-image? Explain please.

mikeyBoy83 said:
Can you explain why ## f^{-1}(D) = [0,\sqrt{2}]## ? Why would we not include ##[-\sqrt{2},0]## in our pre-image? Explain please.
My bad, I've made a mistake. Corrected it.

Lucas SV said:
My bad, I've made a mistake. Corrected it.

Okay, so what if we wanted to find ##f^{-1}(F)## using the same function with ##F=[-4,-1]##, in that case we would have ##∅##.

Likes Lucas SV
mikeyBoy83 said:
Okay, so what if we wanted to find ##f^{-1}(F)## using the same function with ##F=[-4,-1]##, in that case we would have ##∅##.
Yes. Unless of course you decide to change domains to complex numbers.

Lucas SV said:
Yes. Unless of course you decide to change domains to complex numbers.

Of course :)

Related to Understanding Image & Pre-Image: An Example

1. What is the difference between an image and pre-image?

An image is the result of applying a function to a set of input values, while a pre-image is the set of input values that produce a specific output when the function is applied.

2. How do you determine the pre-image of a given image?

To find the pre-image, you must reverse the function and input the given image value. This will give you the set of input values that produce that specific image.

3. Can an image have more than one pre-image?

Yes, an image can have multiple pre-images. This depends on the function and the range of values it can take for a specific output.

4. What is the importance of understanding image and pre-image?

Understanding image and pre-image is crucial in many mathematical and scientific fields, such as computer vision and cryptography. It allows us to analyze and manipulate data in a more precise and efficient manner.

5. Can the concept of image and pre-image be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of image and pre-image can be applied to real-life situations. For example, in video compression, the pre-image of a compressed image is the original, uncompressed video. Similarly, in cryptography, the pre-image of an encrypted message is the original, unencrypted message.