Understanding Index Notation: Simplifying Tensor and Vector Equations

In summary, the conversation is about the proper use of index notation for tensors and the dot product notation when there is more than one index involved. The participants discuss various interpretations and conventions for these notations, including the use of the dyadic notation for tensor products and the contracted notation for divergence. They also mention the use of arrows to denote the direction of the gradient. It is emphasized that understanding and correctly using these notations is essential for working with tensors and their components.
nabber
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. I don't know if I am posting this in the proper section, but I would like to ask the following:
In index notation the term [itex]σ_{ik}x_{j}n_{k}[/itex] is [itex]\bf{σx}\cdot\bf{n}[/itex] or [itex]\bf{xσ}\cdot\bf{n}[/itex], where ##σ## is a second order tensor and ##x,n## are vectors.

On the same note, is ##\frac{\partialσ_{ik}}{\partial x_{k}}x_{j}## equivalent to ##\nabla\cdot(\bf{xσ})## or ##\nabla\cdot(\bf{σx})## ? For some reason there is an index notation rule that eludes me.

Pardon me for the fundamendality or even stupidity of my questions!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with how people use that dot product notation when there's more than one index on a tensor component. It looks really ambiguous to me, but maybe there's some convention that removes the ambiguity. If your book explains the notation, maybe you can tell us how.

Since ##\partial_i f_i=\nabla\cdot f##, I guess ##\frac{\partial\sigma_{ik}}{\partial x_k}x_j## would have to correspond to something like ##(\nabla\cdot\sigma)x## or ##x(\nabla\cdot\sigma)## in that notation.

I totally agree, that's why I am confused! But what about my first question?

I agree with what Fredrik said, except that I would write the same thing as ## (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{\sigma}) \otimes \mathbf{x}##. ## \sigma_{ik} x_j n_k ## also looks to me like a dyadic product, so I would write it as something like ## (\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{n}) \otimes \mathbf{x} ##. As a simpler example, if we had ## x_j y_i ##, that would be the ## ji ## component of the dyadic ## \mathbf{x}\otimes\mathbf{y} ##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Fredrik's final interpretation is exactly correct for cartesian coordinates. Otherwise, ##\partial σ_{ik}/\partial x_k## does not represent the components of ##\vec{∇}\centerdot \vec{σ}##.

Chet

Likes jim mcnamara
Very true!

The dyadic notation is tricky to learn to learn and use, but it's undeniably correct, because it's a statement of a relationship between tensors, not about components in a particular base.

## \vec{v} ## is a vector, ## \overleftrightarrow{\sigma} ## is a dyad, typically a 2nd rank tensor. We use ## \otimes## for the dyadic (tensor) product and ## . ## for the scalar (contracted tensor) product. And one puts an arrow -> over nabla, too. So:

$$ \frac{\partial \sigma_{ik}}{\partial x_k} x_j \mapsto \left(\vec{\nabla} \bullet \overleftrightarrow{\sigma}\right) \otimes \vec{x} $$.

dextercioby said:
The dyadic notation is tricky to learn to learn and use, but it's undeniably correct, because it's a statement of a relationship between tensors, not about components in a particular base.

## \vec{v} ## is a vector, ## \overleftrightarrow{\sigma} ## is a dyad, typically a 2nd rank tensor. We use ## \otimes## for the dyadic (tensor) product and ## . ## for the scalar (contracted tensor) product. And one puts an arrow -> over nabla, too. So:

$$ \frac{\partial \sigma_{ik}}{\partial x_k} x_j \mapsto \left(\vec{\nabla} \bullet \overleftrightarrow{\sigma}\right) \otimes \vec{x} $$.
In what way does this differ materially from the sum total of what the other responders said?

I don't quite get your question. "The other responders" seem to agree to a posting which starts with "I'm not familiar with" and contains "it looks really ambiguous". I just thought to write something that leaves no room to debate/uncertainty.

As a further note, for a divergence of a(n Euclidean) tensor, you usually contract by the first slot of the tensor. Older books I came against called that 'left divergence'. You can also contract by the 2nd (last to the right) slot and you'll have the 'right divergence'. Dyadic notation is really old-fashioned. Even engineering schools (should) teach tensors nowadays.

1. What is simple index notation?

Simple index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate large sets of data or variables in a concise and organized manner. It involves using indices or subscripts to label and distinguish different elements within a set or equation.

2. How is simple index notation used in science?

Simple index notation is commonly used in science to represent and analyze data sets, equations, and physical quantities. It allows for easier manipulation and calculation of large and complex data, making it a valuable tool for scientists in various fields.

3. What are the benefits of using simple index notation?

One of the main benefits of using simple index notation is its ability to condense and simplify large sets of data or equations. This can save time and effort in calculations and analysis, and also makes it easier to spot patterns and relationships within the data.

4. Are there any limitations to using simple index notation?

One limitation of simple index notation is that it may not be suitable for representing complex and nonlinear relationships between variables. It is also important to ensure that the indices used are clearly defined and consistent throughout the notation to avoid confusion and errors.

5. How can I learn to use simple index notation?

The best way to learn how to use simple index notation is to practice and familiarize yourself with its principles and rules. There are also many online resources and textbooks available for learning and honing your skills in this notation. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or tutor can also be helpful in understanding and applying simple index notation in your scientific work.