Understanding Integral and Peripheral Proteins: Biology Q&A

• Thread starter bengalkitties
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, proteins associated with the plasma membrane can be classified as either integral membrane proteins or peripheral membrane proteins. For the following types of proteins, glucose transporter and sodium-potassium pump are considered integral proteins, while ion channel is a peripheral protein. In terms of transport, facilitated diffusion is used by the ion channel, while active transport is used by the glucose transporter GLUT-1 and the sodium-potassium pump.
bengalkitties
Proteins associated with the plasma membrane can be classified as either integral membrane proteins or peripheral membrane proteins. For the following types of proteins, please specify whether they would be integral or peripheral.
Glucose transporter
Sodium-potassium pump
Ion channel

-I think that peripheral membranes are only on one side of the membrane whereas integral proteins are on both sides of the membrane. Therefore, I thought that glucose transporter was integral, sodium potassium was integral, and ion channel was peripheral. What am I doing wrong?

MY NEXT QUESTION:
Transport of large or hydrophilic molecules across the plasma membrane can occur via facilitated diffusion or via active transport. For the following types of proteins, please indicated which type of transport is involved.

Ion channel
Glucose transporter GLUT-1
Sodium-potassium pump

Active transport is when molecules can cross against the concentration gradient whereas faclitated diffusion can't go across the concentration gradient. So this is what I did: for ion channel, I said faclitated diffusion, glucose transporter is active transport, and sodium potassium pump is active transport. Where am I going wrong?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify that the classification of proteins as integral or peripheral is based on their physical association with the plasma membrane, not their function. Integral proteins are embedded within the membrane, while peripheral proteins are only temporarily associated with the membrane. Therefore, the correct classification for the proteins mentioned would be:

Glucose transporter - Integral protein
Sodium-potassium pump - Integral protein
Ion channel - Integral protein

For the second question, the type of transport involved is determined by the energy requirement for the movement of molecules. Active transport requires energy (usually in the form of ATP) to move molecules against the concentration gradient, while facilitated diffusion does not require energy and moves molecules along the concentration gradient. Therefore, the correct classification would be:

Ion channel - Facilitated diffusion
Glucose transporter GLUT-1 - Facilitated diffusion
Sodium-potassium pump - Active transport

I hope this clarifies any confusion. It is important to understand the difference between the physical association of proteins with the membrane and their function in transport processes.

What is biology?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with the environment. It encompasses a wide range of topics such as cell structure, genetics, evolution, and ecology.

What are the main branches of biology?

The main branches of biology include botany (the study of plants), zoology (the study of animals), microbiology (the study of microorganisms), genetics (the study of heredity), and ecology (the study of interactions between organisms and their environment).

Why is biology important?

Biology is important because it helps us understand the natural world and how living organisms function. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental conservation.

What skills do you need to study biology?

To study biology, you need strong critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. Additionally, good communication skills and a strong foundation in math and science are important.

How can I improve my understanding of biology?

To improve your understanding of biology, you can read textbooks and scientific articles, attend lectures and seminars, participate in hands-on experiments, and engage in discussions with other biology enthusiasts. It can also be helpful to find a mentor or join a study group to deepen your understanding.