Understanding Integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2) and the Role of the Tan Function

In summary: This was as far as I could goI'm wondering how that 1/a came and how to make this into a 1/x^2+1 formate so I can input tanPlease helpIt can be taken like thisIt's sort of like the perfect square rule this once I put it to this formate it's done
lioric
image.jpg

I cannot understand the intergration done here
The part how 1/a came, what happened to the x and how did tan come into this

Physics news on Phys.org
lioric said:
View attachment 96316
I cannot understand the intergration done here
The part how 1/a came, what happened to the x and how did tan come into this
The x went away because it is the dummy integration variable in a definite integral.

For starters: do you know how to evaluate the following indefinite integral: ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx##?

No
Samy_A said:
The x went away because it is the dummy integration variable in a definite integral.

For starters: do you know how to evaluate the following indefinite integral: ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx##?

lioric said:
No
Do you know how to use a substitution in order to compute an integral?

Yes
Samy_A said:
Do you know how to use a substitution in order to compute an integral?

lioric said:
Yes
Fine. So start with the indefinite integral ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx## and use the substitution ##x=\tan y## to compute it.

Samy_A said:
Fine. So start with the indefinite integral ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx## and use the substitution ##x=\tan y## to compute it.
Thank you very much

image.jpg

This was as far as I could go
I'm wondering how that 1/a came and how to make this into a 1/x^2+1 formate so I can input tan
Please help

lioric said:
View attachment 96332
This was as far as I could go
I'm wondering how that 1/a came and how to make this into a 1/x^2+1 formate so I can input tan
Please help
You can do it in two (very similar) ways.
I assume that you found the indefinite integral ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx##.
To calculate the indefinite integral ##\int \frac{1}{a²+x²}dx##, you could:
1) use the substitution ##x=a \tan y## and solve the same way as you did for ##\int \frac{1}{1+x²}dx##;
2) use the substitution ##x=ay##, which gives ##\int \frac{1}{a²+x²}dx =\int \frac{1}{a²+a²y²} ady =\frac{1}{a} \int \frac{1}{1+y²} dy##, the indefinite integral you already solved (up to a constant 1/a).

Just to be clear, all my integrals here are indefinite integrals. When you calculate your definite integral, watch the integration limits when you perform a substitution.

I finally figured it out
image.jpg

It can be taken like this
It's sort of like the perfect square rule this once I put it to this formate it's done
Thank you very much

What is integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2)?

The integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2) refers to the process of finding the antiderivative of the function 1/(x^2 + a^2). This involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to 1/(x^2 + a^2).

Why is integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2) important?

The integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2) is important in mathematics, physics, and engineering as it allows us to solve a wide range of problems involving the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over time.

What are the different methods for integrating 1/(x^2 + a^2)?

There are several methods for integrating 1/(x^2 + a^2), including substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. The choice of method depends on the form of the function and the desired simplicity of the solution.

What are some common applications of integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2)?

The integration of 1/(x^2 + a^2) has many applications in physics, such as calculating the electric potential of a point charge, the gravitational potential of a point mass, or the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire. It is also used in engineering for solving differential equations and in economics for calculating the present value of a continuous cash flow.

Is there a general formula for integrating 1/(x^2 + a^2)?

There is no single formula for integrating 1/(x^2 + a^2) as the answer depends on the value of a and the chosen integration method. However, there are tables of integrals that provide specific solutions for certain values of a and different methods of integration.