Understanding limits of rational functions at infinity

In summary, The limits of the function will be the same at both ends if the highest degree term in the numerator and denominator are equal, and the ratio of their coefficients is the limit at infinity.
Aramin
Is there a way to distinguish between rational functions that have the same limit at both ends and those that don't? I think I might have answered my own question, but let's say I evaluate a rational function, and it turns out to be a coefficient ratio with no variables (3/2). Does that mean that function will have the same end behavior on both sides?

What is required to have a result of -3/2 at -infinity and 3/2 at +infinity? Does this result occur in rational functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Aramin said:
Is there a way to distinguish between rational functions that have the same limit at both ends and those that don't?
Yes - you evaluate the limits at each end.

I think I might have answered my own question, but let's say I evaluate a rational function, and it turns out to be a coefficient ratio with no variables (3/2). Does that mean that function will have the same end behavior on both sides?
"Evaluate a rational function" where? How? What does that phrase mean?

Being careful to say what you are talking about - explicitly - should help you here ;)

Yes I definitely would evaluate the limits at each end. I was wondering if there are any rules or patterns in the rational function before being evaluated that might tip this behavior off.

Regarding the 2nd part of my post, I figured it out :)

At each end of what?

You know, there is a handy and clear mathematical notation which you can use to express which limits you are talking about.

Aramin said:
Is there a way to distinguish between rational functions that have the same limit at both ends and those that don't? I think I might have answered my own question, but let's say I evaluate a rational function, and it turns out to be a coefficient ratio with no variables (3/2). Does that mean that function will have the same end behavior on both sides?

What is required to have a result of -3/2 at -infinity and 3/2 at +infinity? Does this result occur in rational functions?

The limits as [itex]|x| \to \infty[/itex] of [itex]r(x) = (\sum_{n=0}^N a_nx^n)/(\sum_{n=0}^M b_mx^m)[/itex] with [itex]a_N[/itex] and [itex]b_M[/itex] both nonzero are the limits of [tex]\frac{a_N}{b_M}x^{n-m}.[/tex] Clearly this only tends to a finite limit if [itex]n \leq m[/itex]. If [itex]n < m[/itex] then the both limits are zero. A non-zero limit is possible only in the case [itex]n = m[/itex], where [tex]
\lim_{x \to \infty} r(x) = \lim_{x \to -\infty} r(x) = \frac{a_N}{b_M}.
[/tex]

Let's say that numenator is polynomial of degree m (with coefficient A before m-th degree term) and denominator is polynomial of degree n (with coefficient B), that is:
[tex]Q(x)=\frac{Ax^m+...}{Bx^n+...}[/tex]

When you go to inifnity those higher order terms dominate. That is no matter what are the coefficients, if you go to big enough numbers highest order term will give number bigger (in absolute value) than other numbers. Therefore asymptotically our function behaves like [itex]F(x)=\frac{A}{B} x^{m-n}[/itex]. This can be made precise by noting that limit of [itex]Q(x)-F(x)[/itex] at infinities is zero (if you know precise definition of limit, try to prove it as an exercise!).

We established that all information about our function is encoded in F. Well from that it is obvious that if n was greater than m then our function goes to zero at infinity. If m>n then it behaves like a polynomial of degree m-n; and those have limits of the same sign at both infinities if their degree is even. Ratio of A to B gives you information if it is positive at positive infinity.

Additionally if you already know about limits i advise you to look up what "big O" notation is, it is very helpful in determining asymptotic behaviour of functions.

Aramin said:

Not for rational functions no. But it's easy to write functions with the properties you want.

First consider ##\sqrt{x^2+1} = \sqrt{x^2(1+x^{-2})}= |x| \, \sqrt{1+x^{-2}}##. Now divide by ##1+x##. We obtain
##\frac{|x| \, \sqrt{1+x^{-2}}}{x(1+x^{-1})}##.

If we assume ##x>0## then this is just ##\frac{\sqrt{1+x^{-2}}}{1+x^{-1}}## and so the limit to positive infinity is clearly +1.

If we assume ##x<0## then ##|x|=-x## and so we obtain ##\frac{-\sqrt{1+x^{-2}}}{1+x^{-1}}##. The limit to negative infinity is -1.

1. What are rational functions?

Rational functions are algebraic expressions that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. They can be represented in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What does it mean for a rational function to have a limit at infinity?

A rational function has a limit at infinity if its value approaches a constant as the input x approaches positive or negative infinity. This constant is called the horizontal asymptote.

3. How do you find the limit of a rational function at infinity?

To find the limit of a rational function at infinity, you can divide the leading coefficients of the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x. The resulting quotient is the horizontal asymptote.

4. What are the different types of limits of rational functions at infinity?

There are three types of limits of rational functions at infinity: horizontal, vertical, and oblique. A horizontal asymptote is a constant value that the function approaches as x goes to infinity. A vertical asymptote occurs when the denominator of the rational function becomes 0 as x approaches a certain value. An oblique asymptote is a slant line that the function approaches as x goes to infinity.

5. Why is understanding limits of rational functions at infinity important?

Understanding limits of rational functions at infinity can help us analyze the behavior of a function as its input x gets very large or very small. This information is useful in many fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics, where functions are used to model real-world situations.