Understanding Newton's 2nd Law

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling and a mass accelerating downward. The solution involved using Newton's 2nd and 3rd laws, as well as the acceleration constraint of a1 = -a2. The resulting equation, m1 = [(g-a)/(g+a)]m2, was derived from the free body diagrams of each mass and the given constraints. Additionally, a1 and a2 represent the same acceleration but in opposite directions.
I'm Awesome
I have a problem which reads:

A frictionless pulley with zero mass is attached to the ceiling, in a gravity field of 9.81 m/s2 . Mass M2 = 0.10 kg is observed to be accelerating downward at 1.3 m/s2

and I have a solution which tells me to solve the problem use Newton's 2nd law:

m1a1 = T1 - m1g

m2a2 = T2 - m2g

We also have an acceleration (constraint/constant??) a1 = a2 = a, and by Newton's 3rd law, T1 = T2

=> m1 (a+g) = m2 (g-a) => m1 = [(g - a)/(g + a)]m2

and then from this we just plug in numbers.My question is, how do we arrive to the conclusion of creating this equation? I'm really confused about how to actually set up the equation. Also is a1 and a2 the same acceleration just in opposite directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm Awesome said:
how do we arrive to the conclusion of creating this equation?
Just draw the free body diagram for each mass. Everything else follows from those and the constraints you mentioned.

I'm Awesome said:
Also is a1 and a2 the same acceleration just in opposite directions?
Yes. The acceleration constraint should be a1 = - a2. Let "a" be the magnitude of that acceleration.

What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it and inversely proportional to its mass.

How is Newton's 2nd Law related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's 2nd Law is part of a set of three laws known as Newton's Laws of Motion. It is the second law and is preceded by the first law, also known as the Law of Inertia, and followed by the third law, known as the Law of Action and Reaction.

What is the mathematical equation for Newton's 2nd Law?

The mathematical equation for Newton's 2nd Law is F=ma, where F represents the net force acting on an object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration of the object.

How does mass affect an object's acceleration according to Newton's 2nd Law?

According to Newton's 2nd Law, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. In other words, if the mass of an object increases, the acceleration decreases, and if the mass decreases, the acceleration increases.

Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to everyday situations. For example, when pushing a shopping cart, the harder you push (force) the faster the cart will accelerate. Similarly, the more items you put in the cart (mass), the harder you will have to push to achieve the same acceleration.