Understanding Nth Term in Number Sequences

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Nth term of a given sequence and how it relates to a formula of the form a+(n-1)d where a is the 1st term, N is the Nth term, and d is the common difference. The formula is derived from expanding the term in parentheses and setting the 1st term to have a value of 0, the 2nd term to have a value of 1, and so on. Therefore, the formula a+(n-1)d can be used to find any term in the sequence. The two methods result in the same answer, with the formula providing a more direct way to find the Nth term.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I'm studying sequences and series, the problem I am having is this:-

Given the sequence 8 11 14

Find the Nth Term.

I have worked out the nth term to be 3N+5, so if I wanted to find the 4th term it would be 3*4+5 = 17.

The problem is that I have come across the following formula:-

a+(n-1)d where a = 1st term, N is the Nth term, d common difference.

If I plug in the values into the above formula I get:-
8+(4-1)*3 = 17

I get the same result?? the problem I am having is that I do not understand how the two are related?

Can someone explain??

Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
a+(n-1)d where a = 1st term, N is the Nth term, d common difference.
Try expanding the term in parentheses and writing the result in the form A*n+B.

Our sequence is
a, a+d, a+2d, ...

which is equivalent to

a+0d, a+1d, a+2d, ...

So what we have is:
1st = a+0d
2nd = a+1d
3rd = a+2d
nth = a+(n-1)d

So in order to use a formula that's of this form, we need to make our 1st term (n=1) have a value of 0, n=2 have a value of 1... our nth value have a value of (n-1).

Hence a+(n-1)d does just this.

1. What is the Nth term in a number sequence?

The Nth term in a number sequence refers to the general term or formula used to calculate any term in the sequence. It helps to predict and understand the pattern of the sequence.

2. How do you find the Nth term in a number sequence?

To find the Nth term in a number sequence, you need to first identify the pattern in the sequence. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to create a formula or rule that can be applied to any term to get the Nth term.

3. What is the importance of understanding the Nth term in a number sequence?

Understanding the Nth term in a number sequence allows you to predict and calculate any term in the sequence without having to list out all the numbers. It also helps in identifying the underlying pattern and making connections to other mathematical concepts.

4. What are some common number sequences where understanding the Nth term is useful?

Number sequences such as arithmetic, geometric, and Fibonacci sequences are commonly used in math and real-life situations. Understanding the Nth term in these sequences can help in solving problems related to growth, patterns, and series.

5. How can understanding the Nth term in a number sequence be applied in the real world?

Understanding the Nth term in a number sequence is useful in various fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to predict stock prices, calculate interest rates, and create algorithms for data analysis and pattern recognition.