Understanding Part (c) of the Protractor Postulate: Explaining r=30

• MHB
  • Thread starter pholee95
  • Start date
In summary, the model of geometry where point means rational point in the Euclidean plane doesn't satisfy the protractor postulate because there isn't a one-to-one correspondence with R.
pholee95
I'm stuck on this problem. Can anyone please help me understand?

Consider the model of geometry where point means rational point in the Euclidean plane and all of our other terms have their normal interpretation. This model doesn't satisfy the Ruler Postulate because there isn't a one-to-one correspondence with R. It also doesn't satisfy part (c) of the Protractor Postulate. Explain why it doesn't satisfy this part of the postulate by considering the line through (0,0) and (1,0), the upper half-plane, and the number r = 30. (Hint: Use a little piece of trig and think about the point E in this case.)

*I know that part (c) of the protractor postulate states this: For each real number r, 0 < r < 180, and for each half-plane H bounded by AB there exists a unique ray AE such that E is in H and μ(angleBAE) = r◦.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pholee95 said:
Consider the model of geometry where point means rational point in the Euclidean plane
I assume this means point with rational coordinates.

pholee95 said:
part (c) of the protractor postulate states this: For each real number r, 0 < r < 180, and for each half-plane H bounded by AB there exists a unique ray AE such that E is in H and μ(angleBAE) = r◦.
A ray is, first of all, a set of points. Are there any points with rational coordinates on the ray that forms $30^\circ$ with the $Ox$ axis?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I assume this means point with rational coordinates.

A ray is, first of all, a set of points. Are there any points with rational coordinates on the ray that forms $30^\circ$ with the $Ox$ axis?

There are none right?

pholee95 said:
There are none right?
Right, except $(0,0)$. The axiom requires that at least one point $E$ lies on the ray, which is not the case here. But you have to prove that there are no rational points on the ray.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Right, except $(0,0)$. The axiom requires that at least one point $E$ lies on the ray, which is not the case here. But you have to prove that there are no rational points on the ray.

Ah. I understand it now. Thank you so much for your help!

1) What is the Protractor Postulate?

The Protractor Postulate is a geometric principle that states that any angle can be measured by placing one side of the angle on the zero mark of a protractor and measuring the number of degrees between that side and the other side of the angle.

2) How does the Protractor Postulate relate to the equation r=30?

The equation r=30 is a representation of an angle with a measure of 30 degrees. This follows the Protractor Postulate because the radius (r) of a circle can be used as one side of an angle and the other side can be measured using a protractor to determine the angle's measure.

3) What does the variable r stand for in the equation r=30?

In this context, r stands for the measure of the angle in degrees. It represents the distance from the center of the circle to the point where the two sides of the angle intersect.

4) Can the Protractor Postulate be used to measure angles in any orientation?

Yes, the Protractor Postulate can be used to measure angles in any orientation as long as one side of the angle is placed on the zero mark of the protractor. This is because the postulate states that any angle can be measured using a protractor, regardless of its orientation.

5) Why is it important to understand part (c) of the Protractor Postulate?

Part (c) of the Protractor Postulate is important because it allows us to accurately measure angles using a protractor. This knowledge is essential in many fields of science and mathematics, such as geometry, engineering, and physics.