Understanding Percentages in Sales Commissions: Finding the Correct Calculation

In summary: The reasoning is that since k is a one digit number, moving the decimal point over two places will give you .0k which is the percentage.
Medet

Homework Statement

A salesperson's commission is k percent of the selling price of a car. Which of the following represents the commission, in dollars, on 2 cars that sold for 14,000 each?

Homework Equations

28,000*k (I thought that this answer was corrects since a percent is always part of 1. For example, .98 would be 98%)

The correct answer is actually 280*k. I'm assuming now that the percent is a whole number and not actually a percent and that they re-arranged the idea of percent by dividing the price of the two cars by a 100.So, I'm just really confused and if anyone can help out that would be awesome.

-MW

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The "k" is the percentage - but a percentage is not a fraction, it the number of parts out of 100.
In the notation "10%", the percentage is "10". The "%" sign contains the "divide by 100" part to turn it into a fraction.

It does not have to be a whole number. You can have 0.5% of something for example.

the sentence "k percent of 5000" (for example) means (k/100)x5000 = 50k
this is because "per" means "divide by", "cent" means "100" and "of" means "multiply by"
... you just translate the english sentence into maths.

Well, in the problem they stated "k percent", assuming that k is now theoretically a fraction/decimal.

Medet said:
Well, in the problem they stated "k percent", assuming that k is now theoretically a fraction/decimal.
If k=100, "k percent" would be 100%.
If he received 100% of the 28000, that would be 280k.

If k=50, "k percent" would be 50%.
If he received 50% of the 28000, that would be 14000 or 280k.

If k=14.285714..., k percent would 14.285714...%
If he received 14.285714...% of the 14000, that would be 2000 or 280k.

They are expressing k as a percent value with a normal range of 0 to 100. Not a simple multiplier with a normal range of 0 to 1.

Likes 1 person
... that was an incorrect assumption.
That is not what "k percent" means.

Scott and I are telling you the correct meaning so that next time you see that statement or one similar to it you will know what to do.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much. I understand now.

I have a question: Could you also do it this way?

Since k is a one digit number, move the decimal point over two places to get .0k (like you would if you were making a one digit number into a percent). Move the decimal in 28,000 over two places also to get 280.

Harriet said:
I have a question: Could you also do it this way?

Since k is a one digit number, move the decimal point over two places to get .0k
It's better to write it as (.01)k
Harriet said:
(like you would if you were making a one digit number into a percent). Move the decimal in 28,000 over two places also to get 280.

In post #1 you are told that k is already a percentage, you are not told that it is a 1 digit number.
Getting the same amswer as the model answer is not the point. The point is to learn good reasoning skills. What is the reasoning that leads you to attempt that method?

What is a "SAT Level 5 Math Question"?

A "SAT Level 5 Math Question" is a type of math question that is typically found on the SAT exam. These questions are designed to test a student's understanding and application of advanced mathematical concepts and skills.

What topics are covered in "SAT Level 5 Math Questions"?

SAT Level 5 Math Questions cover a wide range of topics, including advanced algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics. These questions may also involve real-world applications, data analysis, and problem-solving strategies.

Are "SAT Level 5 Math Questions" more difficult than other SAT math questions?

Yes, "SAT Level 5 Math Questions" are considered to be more difficult than other SAT math questions. These questions require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and may involve multi-step problem-solving techniques.

How can I prepare for "SAT Level 5 Math Questions"?

To prepare for "SAT Level 5 Math Questions", it is important to review and practice a wide range of advanced math topics. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the format and structure of the SAT exam, as well as the types of questions that are typically asked.

What score do I need to achieve on "SAT Level 5 Math Questions"?

The SAT does not have a specific score for "SAT Level 5 Math Questions". However, a strong performance on these questions can significantly improve your overall math score on the SAT exam. It is important to aim for a high score on all sections of the SAT, including the math section.