Understanding Projectile Motion and Forces in Wind Currents

In summary, the speaker is wondering about the forces and accelerations involved in calculating the motion of a paper airplane thrown at different angles, taking into account wind currents. They are seeking help in understanding the physics behind this problem and have been directed to resources that may be helpful.
thewebdee
Hey everyone, i am wondering about projectile motion and wind currents.

e.g. let's say that i throw a paper airplane from either:

1 - an angle e.g. 30 or 70 degrees elevation/de-elevation
2 - no angle

and the airplane flies through the air until it hits the ground. What are some of the forces and accelerations etc i should be looking at to calculate the motion of such a thing.

hope i explained it well.

Physics news on Phys.org
thewebdee said:
Hey everyone, i am wondering about projectile motion and wind currents.

e.g. let's say that i throw a paper airplane from either:

1 - an angle e.g. 30 or 70 degrees elevation/de-elevation
2 - no angle

and the airplane flies through the air until it hits the ground. What are some of the forces and accelerations etc i should be looking at to calculate the motion of such a thing.

hope i explained it well.

1. Is this part of a school work?

2. You have not indicated what you know.

3. Have you done any effort to try and find the relevant knowledge to solve this?

4. Can you draw the free-body diagram for such a problem?

5. Have you seen this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=188006

6. Have you seen this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Zz.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This motion follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What forces act on a projectile?

The main force acting on a projectile is gravity, which pulls the object downward towards the Earth. However, there may also be other forces present such as air resistance or thrust from the object's initial launch.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range of a projectile. The maximum range is achieved when the object is launched at an angle of 45 degrees from the horizontal. Launching at a higher or lower angle will result in a shorter range.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the mass of the object. These factors can alter the shape and height of the parabolic path the object follows.

5. How can projectile motion be applied in real life situations?

Projectile motion has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Examples include calculating the trajectory of a rocket launch, determining the optimal angle for a ski jump, and predicting the path of a baseball after it is hit by a bat.