Understanding Separable Vector Spaces: The Basics Explained

In summary, a separable vector space is a mathematical concept that refers to a vector space with a countable dense subset. It is different from a non-separable vector space, which does not have a countable dense subset and can make certain mathematical operations more difficult or impossible. This concept is important in mathematics, particularly in functional analysis and measure theory, and has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. Not all vector spaces are separable, with most infinite-dimensional spaces being non-separable.
fog37
Dear forum,

I am trying to understand what a separable vector space is. I know we can perform the tensor product of two or more vector space and obtain a new vector space. Is that vector space separable because it is the product of other vector spaces?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No. A separable space contains a countable dense subset. The product of two vector spaces will not be separable unless the two original vector spaces were.

Orodruin said:
No. A separable space contains a countable dense subset. The product of two vector spaces will not be separable unless the two original vector spaces were.

The notion of a vector space alone is not sufficient for separability to be well defined.

Thank you.

What would a countable dense subset be? I understand it contains a subset of vectors that has a particular property. Could you give me an example of what a countable dense subset means from ordinary finite dimensional linear algebra? Let's consider the vector space of vectors
##v=(v_{x} , v_{y}, v_{z})##...

fog37 said:
Thank you.

What would a countable dense subset be? I understand it contains a subset of vectors that has a particular property. Could you give me an example of what a countable dense subset means from ordinary finite dimensional linear algebra? Let's consider the vector space of vectors
##v=(v_{x} , v_{y}, v_{z})##...

Dense makes no sense on a vector space only. You'll need further structure, like a norm, a distance or a topology.

For example, the vector space ##\mathbb{R}^3## can be equipped with the norm
[tex]\|v\| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2}[/tex]
A countable dense set can then be given by [tex]\{v~\vert~v_x, v_y,v_z\in \mathbb{Q}\}[/tex]

But let's start with the basics, do you know what a norm is?

Also, where did you encounter the notion of separable? Seeing the context might help.

micromass said:
The notion of a vector space alone is not sufficient for separability to be well defined.
Obviously. This is implied by the "dense". Without some sort of topology, this is not well defined.

Orodruin said:
Obviously. This is implied by the "dense". Without some sort of topology, this is not well defined.

You know that. I know that. The point is that the OP might not.

Hi micromass,

The norm is, conceptually, the "length" of a vector. I run into the idea of separable vector space in introductory quantum mechanics where Hilbert vector space is said to be separable. this leads down to the discussion of such a space being a tensor product of other vector spaces...

fog37 said:
Hi micromass,

The norm is, conceptually, the "length" of a vector. I run into the idea of separable vector space in introductory quantum mechanics where Hilbert vector space is said to be separable. this leads down to the discussion of such a space being a tensor product of other vector spaces...

OK, since it's in the context of Hilbert spaces, I can give a simpler definition of separable. All it means is that there is a countable orthonormal basis. That is: there is a subset of the Hilbert space ##\{e_n~\vert~n\in I\}## with ##I## countable, which intuitively means ##I## finite or ##I=\mathbb{N}## such that
1) ##\|e_n\| = 1## for all ##n##
2) ##<e_n, e_m> = 0## for ##n\neq m##
3) Every ##x## in the Hilbert space can be written as ##x = \sum_{n\in I}\alpha_n e_n## for some ##\alpha_n\in \mathbb{C}## (it can be shown that ##\alpha_n =<x,e_n>##). Note this sum is an infinite sum (=series) when ##I=\mathbb{N}## and convergence comes into play, which makes it distinct from linear algebra where all sums are finite.

As an example in ##\mathbb{C}^3##, take ##(1,0,0)##, ##(0,1,0)##, ##(0,0,1)##. These are orthonormal and form a basis.

1. What is a separable vector space?

A separable vector space is a mathematical concept that refers to a vector space in which there exists a countable dense subset. This means that the space contains a set of elements that are "dense" or closely packed together, and that this set is countable, meaning it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

2. How is a separable vector space different from a non-separable vector space?

A non-separable vector space does not have a countable dense subset, meaning that there is no way to "pack" the elements closely together. This can make certain mathematical operations more difficult or impossible to perform in a non-separable vector space.

3. Why is the concept of separable vector spaces important in mathematics?

Separable vector spaces have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in functional analysis and measure theory. They also allow for easier and more efficient calculations in certain mathematical problems.

4. Can all vector spaces be considered separable?

No, not all vector spaces are separable. In fact, most infinite-dimensional vector spaces are non-separable, meaning that they do not have a countable dense subset. Examples of non-separable vector spaces include the space of all continuous functions and the space of all square-integrable functions.

5. How are separable vector spaces used in real-world applications?

Separable vector spaces have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used in fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, and quantum mechanics. In these fields, separable vector spaces allow for easier and more efficient calculations and modeling of complex systems.