Understanding Steel Ingot Rolling Systems: Operation, Compensation, and Control

In summary, the steel ingot rolling system works by using an upper roller driven by an electro-hydraulic actuator to adjust the thickness of the ingot, while the inferior roller is driven by a synchronous motor with a flywheel to compensate for sudden forces without increasing the power of the motor. The thickness of the ingot is measured using a contact sensor and a potentiometer is used to set the desired thickness. The sudden forces could potentially come from changes in the position of the upper roller. By using a flywheel, the system can handle these sudden forces over a longer period of time without causing the motor to overload.
omka
hello,
Could you please help me to understand how this steel ingot rolling system works.
The simplified diagram of a rolling mill is shown in the figure attached. The upper roller of mass m is driven by an electro-hydraulic actuator his objectif is to adjust the thickness to be given to the ingot moving to the right. The inferior roller is driven by a synchronous motor via a flywheel, his role is to compensate the sudden forces which act on the roll without increasing the power of the engine. The thickness y (t) of the laminated ingot is measured using a contact sensor of factor K2. The desired thickness is set using a potentiometer of factor k1. The normal force, FN, acting on the upper roller is considered disturbance.
Capture d’écran 2017-09-13 à 11.08.05.png

My questions:

1. how can the inferior roll compensate the sudden forces which act on the superior roll without increasing the power of the synchronous motor?

2. What can be sudden forces (example) ?I’ve tried to model this "steel ingot rolling automatic control system" graphically.
Capture d’écran 2017-09-13 à 15.53.36.png
It is correct ? Should i add the command of the inferior roller in my graphical model? i just want to understand the feedback system control

Please this is not homework. thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is the lower roller that drives the ingot to the right. As the position of the upper roller changes, you could have sudden demands for additional torque from the lower roller. Ultimately, that has to come from the motor. But by using a flywheel, that additional power can be added over a longer period of time - perhaps seconds instead of milliseconds.

Your graph looks OK to me.

Likes omka
hello .Scott , thank you for you reply. I don't understand very well. More torque means more power in the input of motor ? if i suppose that instead of flywheel i have speed variator and i want to control sudden forces. can i model the system like that ?
Capture d’écran 2017-09-13 à 17.17.44.png

There will still be speed variation, but with the flywheel, at least the ingot will continue to move. Otherwise, it is possible that the system would simply brake to stop. Alternatively, a larger motor could still deliver the sudden burst of torque, but could pop a circuit breaker in the process.

Likes omka

1. What is a steel ingot rolling system?

A steel ingot rolling system is a complex industrial process used to shape and form steel ingots into various products, such as bars, sheets, and plates. It involves a series of steps, including heating, rolling, and cooling, to transform the ingot into its desired shape and size.

2. How does the operation of a steel ingot rolling system work?

The operation of a steel ingot rolling system starts with the heating of the ingot in a furnace. Once heated, the ingot is then placed between two rollers and passed through a series of rolling stands, where it is gradually flattened and elongated to its desired shape. The ingot is then cooled and cut into smaller pieces for further processing.

3. What is the purpose of compensation in a steel ingot rolling system?

Compensation in a steel ingot rolling system refers to the adjustments made to the rolling process to ensure that the ingot is rolled to the desired dimensions. This can include controlling the speed and pressure of the rollers, as well as adjusting the temperature and cooling rate of the ingot.

4. How is a steel ingot rolling system controlled?

A steel ingot rolling system is typically controlled through a combination of manual and automated processes. Operators monitor and adjust the rolling process based on factors such as temperature, pressure, and speed, while automated systems use sensors and data analysis to optimize the process and ensure consistent quality.

5. What are the key factors to consider when designing a steel ingot rolling system?

When designing a steel ingot rolling system, several important factors must be considered, including the type and quality of the steel being rolled, the desired end product, and the required production rate. Additionally, the design must take into account the availability of resources, such as energy and raw materials, and the safety and efficiency of the overall process.