Understanding Subspaces in Rn: Exploring the Role of Orthonormal Bases

In summary, the zero vector is a subspace of Rn, but technically speaking it is the set containing the zero vector. The empty set can be considered as the orthonormal basis for the subspace {0}, and this is either a convention or provable. Most discussions about subspaces assume at least one dimension.
fredrogers3
Hello everyone,
I have a theoretical question on subspaces. Consider the space Rn. The zero vector is indeed a subspace of Rn. However, if I am not mistaken, the zero vector has no orthonormal basis, even though it is a subspace. I thought all subspaces have an orthonormal basis (or is it all subspaces of n dimensions?). Can anyone shed any light on where I am going wrong here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fredrogers3 said:
Hello everyone,
I have a theoretical question on subspaces. Consider the space Rn. The zero vector is indeed a subspace of Rn.

Well, technically speaking, the subspace is not the zero vector but the set containing the zero vector. That is ##\{0\}## is the subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^n##.

However, if I am not mistaken, the zero vector has no orthonormal basis, even though it is a subspace. I thought all subspaces have an orthonormal basis (or is it all subspaces of n dimensions?). Can anyone shed any light on where I am going wrong here?

The empty set would be the orthonormal basis for ##\{0\}##. Depending on your definitions, this is either a convention or provable.

For a subset ##X## of a vector space ##V##, I can define ##\textrm{span}(X)## the smallest subspace of ##V## containing ##X##. Under this definition, we see that ##\textrm{span}(\emptyset) = \{0\}##. Furthermore, it is vacuous truth that any two elements in ##\emptyset## are orthogonal since it has no elements to begin with.

As a practical matter {0} is zero dimensional. Most discussions about subspaces usually assume at least one dimension.

Related to Understanding Subspaces in Rn: Exploring the Role of Orthonormal Bases

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three properties: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a smaller space that exists within a larger space and has all the same mathematical properties as the larger space.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above. First, check if the zero vector is included in the set. Then, take two vectors from the set and add them together, and see if the resulting vector is also in the set. Finally, take a vector from the set and multiply it by a scalar, and see if the resulting vector is also in the set. If all three properties are satisfied, then the set is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace be a line or a plane?

Yes, a subspace can be a line or a plane. In fact, a line or a plane is a common example of a subspace. As long as the set satisfies the three properties of a subspace, it can be any shape or size within the larger vector space.

4. What is the difference between a subspace and a span?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three properties, while a span is the set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors. In other words, a subspace can be thought of as a smaller space within a larger space, while a span is a set of vectors that can be used to create a larger space.

5. Can a subspace contain the same vectors as the larger vector space?

Yes, a subspace can contain the same vectors as the larger vector space. In fact, the subspace must contain the zero vector, which is also included in the larger vector space. However, a subspace must also contain additional vectors in order to satisfy the three properties and be considered a subspace.