Understanding the Behavior of Acetone and CS2 in Binary Liquid Solutions

In summary, the mixture of acetone and carbon disulphide has a BP that is less than the BP of pure acetone.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Acetone and carbon disulphide form binary liquid solution showing positive deviation from Raoult's law, The normal boiling point(BP) of pure acetone is less than that of pure carbon disulphide. Select the incorrect statement(s) among the following.

A)BP of mixture is always less than the BP of acetone.
B)BP of the azeotropic mixture is always less than the BP of pure CS2.
C)When a small amount of CS2 is added to an excess of acetone, BP of solution increases.
D)A mixture of acetone and CS2 can be completely separated by simple fractional distillation.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first option is incorrect as BP always increases. Second option is correct as the mixture is a minimum BP azeotrope. I'm confused about the third option. The answer says it is incorrect but according to what I've read, BP always increases on addition of solute. For option D, I'm not sure how to think about that as I don't know much about fractional distillation and how it can be applied to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
C) What happens to the vapor pressure of the solution when you do that? Can you derive the impact of that on BP of the solution?

D) Well, you might want to check the BP of individual components before answering that.

AGNuke said:
C) What happens to the vapor pressure of the solution when you do that? Can you derive the impact of that on BP of the solution?

C) The vapor pressure increases so the BP should decrease. I guess then CS2 is not considered to be a solute in this case, right?

AGNuke said:
D) Well, you might want to check the BP of individual components before answering that.

Do I need to know the exact numerical values?

Nah. Just a rough idea. If they are close, then simple fractionating column might not cut it. You can learn more about fractional distillation if you want. But if I were you, I might have went with the option D.

And regarding to the C option, I suppose what you said is applicable more appropriately with "non-volatile" solute. Since our solute is volatile, it affects the solution in a rather interesting way (i.e. positive deviation from raoult's law)

AGNuke said:
Nah. Just a rough idea. If they are close, then simple fractionating column might not cut it. You can learn more about fractional distillation if you want. But if I were you, I might have went with the option D.

And regarding to the C option, I suppose what you said is applicable more appropriately with "non-volatile" solute. Since our solute is volatile, it affects the solution in a rather interesting way (i.e. positive deviation from raoult's law)

It all makes sense to me now. Thanks!

1. What is a mixture of acetone and CS2?

A mixture of acetone and CS2 is a combination of two chemical substances, acetone (C3H6O) and carbon disulfide (CS2), in which the molecules of each substance are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. This type of mixture is also known as a solution.

2. What are the properties of a mixture of acetone and CS2?

The properties of a mixture of acetone and CS2 can vary depending on the ratio of the two substances. Generally, this mixture has a lower boiling point and higher volatility compared to pure acetone or CS2. It also has a distinct odor and is highly flammable.

3. How is a mixture of acetone and CS2 used?

A mixture of acetone and CS2 has various industrial and laboratory uses. It can be used as a solvent for dissolving other substances, as a cleaning agent, and in the production of synthetic fibers and plastics. It is also used in some chemical reactions and as a component in certain insecticides.

4. Is a mixture of acetone and CS2 safe?

While acetone and CS2 are both considered hazardous substances, a mixture of the two can be used safely if handled with caution. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area, when using this mixture.

5. Can a mixture of acetone and CS2 be separated?

Yes, a mixture of acetone and CS2 can be separated using various methods such as distillation or extraction. These methods take advantage of the different boiling points and solubility of the two substances to separate them from each other. However, this process should only be done by trained professionals in a controlled environment.