Understanding the concept of every open set being a disjoint union

In summary: So this theorem is actually saying that every countable collection of open intervals has a least one open subset that is almost disjoint.
jdinatale
of a countable collection of open intervals.

I'm having a hard time seeing how this could be true. For instance, take the open set (0, 10). I'm having a hard time seeing how one could make this into a union of countable open intervals.

For instance, (0,1) U (1, 10) or (0, 3) U (3, 6) U (6, 10) wouldn't work because those open intervals miss some points. There are "gaps" missing from the initial open set (0, 10). It seems like any union of DISJOINT intervals would have "gaps" missing from the initial open set. And if any of the open sets overlap to fill those gaps, then they are no longer disjoint.

I've read several proofs of this theorem, and they don't clear up my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
An open set in [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] is by definition a (not necessarily disjoint) union of open intervals. You can show that [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] is second countable, so an at most countable number of open intervals suffices. Now a union of (not necessarily disjoint) open intervals is either an open interval again (for example [itex](0,2) \cup (1,3) = (0,3)[/itex]) or it is already a disjoint union of open intervals. So given an open set as a coutable union of not necessarily disjoint open intervals, you can always make it into a disjoint union of open intervals by joining the sets that have nonzero intersection.

In your case, [itex](0, 10)[/itex] is already an open interval, so it is already a countable union of open intervals. Just take [itex]A_0 = (0,10)[/itex] and [itex]A_n = \varnothing[/itex] for [itex]n\neq 0[/itex].

Countable includes finite, so a finite set is also countable. So {(0,10)} is countable set and its union is (0,10), which is therefore a countable union of open intervals.

jdinatale said:
of a countable collection of open intervals.

I'm having a hard time seeing how this could be true. For instance, take the open set (0, 10). I'm having a hard time seeing how one could make this into a union of countable open intervals.

For instance, (0,1) U (1, 10) or (0, 3) U (3, 6) U (6, 10) wouldn't work because those open intervals miss some points. There are "gaps" missing from the initial open set (0, 10). It seems like any union of DISJOINT intervals would have "gaps" missing from the initial open set. And if any of the open sets overlap to fill those gaps, then they are no longer disjoint.

I've read several proofs of this theorem, and they don't clear up my confusion.

You might be interested to know then that every open subset of the reals can be written as a countable union of almost disjoint closed intervals.

Can you provide an explanation or clarification?

I understand your confusion and I can provide an explanation for this concept. The key to understanding this theorem lies in the definition of an open set. An open set is a set of points where any point within the set has a neighborhood that is also contained within the set. In other words, there are no "endpoints" or "boundary points" in an open set.

In the case of the open set (0, 10), it may seem like there are gaps because we are used to thinking about intervals in terms of their endpoints. But in reality, the open set (0, 10) does not have any endpoints. It is an unbounded set that includes all points between 0 and 10.

Now, let's consider the union of countable open intervals. This means that we are taking a collection of open intervals and combining them into one set. Each of these intervals will have its own "endpoints" or boundaries, but when we take the union, those boundaries will overlap and "fill in" the gaps in the open set (0, 10).

For example, let's take the open set (0, 10) and consider the following countable collection of open intervals:

(0, 1), (1, 2), (2, 3), (3, 4), (4, 5), (5, 6), (6, 7), (7, 8), (8, 9), (9, 10)

Each of these intervals has its own boundaries, but when we take the union, the boundaries overlap and create a continuous set that covers the entire open set (0, 10). This is the essence of the disjoint union theorem - we can take a countable collection of open intervals and combine them in such a way that they "fill in" the gaps in an open set.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of every open set being a disjoint union of a countable collection of open intervals. It may seem counterintuitive at first, but it is a fundamental concept in topology and has been proven to be true through rigorous mathematical proofs.

1. What is an open set?

An open set is a set of points in a topological space that does not include its boundary points. In other words, for any point in an open set, there exists a neighborhood of that point that is completely contained within the set.

2. What does it mean for every open set to be a disjoint union?

This means that any two open sets in a topological space do not have any common points. In other words, the intersection of any two open sets is an empty set.

3. Why is it important for every open set to be a disjoint union?

This concept is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of topological spaces. It also allows us to define important properties such as connectedness and compactness.

4. How can I prove that every open set is a disjoint union?

To prove that every open set is a disjoint union, you can use the definition of an open set and show that the intersection of any two open sets is an empty set. You can also use proof by contradiction, assuming that there exists a common point in two open sets and showing that this contradicts the definition of an open set.

5. Can every set be expressed as a disjoint union of open sets?

No, not every set can be expressed as a disjoint union of open sets. This only applies to topological spaces, which have specific properties and definitions that allow for the concept of open sets and their disjoint unions. For example, discrete spaces, where every singleton set is open, do not have this property.