Understanding the Feedback Loop: Carbon Dioxide and Ocean Temperatures

In summary, as carbon dioxide levels increase in the atmosphere, outgoing infrared energy is absorbed, leading to an increase in air and ocean temperatures. This increase in ocean temperatures causes the release of more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere due to a decrease in its solubility. This creates a feedback loop where each factor reinforces the other, resulting in a continuous cycle of rising temperatures and carbon dioxide levels. This is an example of negative feedback, where the changes in one factor lead to a counteracting response in another.
pink94
23. Feedback loops
a) As carbon dioxide levels increase in the atmosphere more outgoing infrared energy is absorbed which increases air temperatures and therefore ocean temperatures. As ocean temperatures increase carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere because less carbon dioxide can be dissolved in seawater (i.e. the solubility of carbon dioxide decreases with higher temperatures). Draw the appropriate arrows between the boxes to complete the feedback loop described above.

I have attached what I think is the right way to display the feedback loop but I don't understand the positives and the negatives could someone explain

Attachments

• uuu.png
    uuu.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pink94 said:
23. Feedback loops
a) As carbon dioxide levels increase in the atmosphere more outgoing infrared energy is absorbed which increases air temperatures and therefore ocean temperatures. As ocean temperatures increase carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere because less carbon dioxide can be dissolved in seawater (i.e. the solubility of carbon dioxide decreases with higher temperatures). Draw the appropriate arrows between the boxes to complete the feedback loop described above.

I have attached what I think is the right way to display the feedback loop but I don't understand the positives and the negatives could someone explain

Welcome to the PF. Maybe try uploading the attachment again? I'm not seeing it.

I did its not showing my positives and negatives though

For some reason, in your original post, only the attachment thumbnail shows up, but when I click on the thumbnail, instead of getting an enlarged view, I just get a blank black screen. I was able to go into your original post and grab the URL for the attachment. This should display it directly in the post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=63660&stc=1&d=1383622904.png

Does that show up?

Regarding the actual question, what do you think is the relationship between these quantities. Hint: the process is cyclical, so just choose somewhere to start and go through the process, labelling the direction of the change in each quantity.

Another interesting question: is this positive or negative feedback?

Attachments

• attachment.php?attachmentid=63660&stc=1&d=1383622904.png
    attachment.php?attachmentid=63660&stc=1&d=1383622904.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 296
I think its negative

Image is "black on transparent", and the background of attachment window is black, so the image is displayed black on black.

Related to Understanding the Feedback Loop: Carbon Dioxide and Ocean Temperatures

1. How does carbon dioxide affect ocean temperatures?

Carbon dioxide traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere, causing it to warm. As the atmosphere warms, the oceans also absorb more heat. This leads to an increase in ocean temperatures.

2. Why is the feedback loop between carbon dioxide and ocean temperatures important?

The feedback loop between carbon dioxide and ocean temperatures is important because it contributes to the Earth's overall climate. As ocean temperatures rise, it can lead to sea level rise, changes in weather patterns, and impacts on marine life. This, in turn, can also impact the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

3. How does the ocean absorb carbon dioxide?

The ocean absorbs carbon dioxide through a process known as carbon sequestration. This is when carbon dioxide dissolves into the ocean's surface and is taken up by marine organisms such as phytoplankton, which use it for photosynthesis. Additionally, the ocean's currents also help to distribute and store carbon dioxide in deep ocean waters.

4. Can the feedback loop between carbon dioxide and ocean temperatures be reversed?

Yes, the feedback loop can be reversed through various methods such as reducing carbon emissions, promoting the growth of carbon-absorbing plants, and implementing sustainable practices. However, it will require a collective effort from individuals, governments, and industries to make a significant impact.

5. What are the potential consequences of an imbalance in the feedback loop?

An imbalance in the feedback loop between carbon dioxide and ocean temperatures can lead to a variety of consequences, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, loss of biodiversity, and disruptions in global food production. It can also have detrimental effects on human health and well-being. Therefore, it is crucial to address and maintain a healthy balance in this feedback loop.