Understanding the Gauss Bonnet Theorem for 2D Riemann Surfaces

In summary, the Gauss Bonnet theorem states that for two dimensional Riemann surfaces, the Gauss curvature is equal to -1/2 times the Laplacian of the logarithm of the scale factor. This can be seen by choosing Isothermal coordinates and a meromorphic 1 form, and extending the function L/|f|^2 to the whole surface. The exterior derivative of the complex differential of the logarithm of this function equals -i times the curvature of the surface. The use of LaTex may require refreshing the page to work properly.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am looking at the proof of the Gauss Bonnet theorem for two dimensional Riemann surfaces.

There are many versions but this one escapes my intuition and I am asking for help "seeing" what it means though I can follow the arguments in the proofs.

View the surface as a Riemann surface and choose Isothermal coordinates around a point with scale factor L.

First how do I see that the Gauss curvature is -1/2L Laplacian(log L). Again I can do the computation.

I can see that if the surface is compact then L will be constant if it is harmonic and one would have a flat torus.

Now choose a meromorphic 1 form on the surface and write it as fdz in an isothermal coordinate chart around a single zero or pole of f.

Then the function L/|f|^2 extends to the whole surface and the exterior derivative of the complex differential of its logarithm equals -iKdS

How do I understand this function? For instance how is its complex differential related to the connection 1 form - if at all.

I apologize but I can not get the latex to work and then it has this big bug in it and I can't do anything. Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the Gauss Bonnet Theorem?

The Gauss Bonnet Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the curvature of a 2D surface to its topology. It states that the total curvature of a closed surface is equal to 2π times the Euler characteristic of that surface.

2. What is a 2D Riemann surface?

A 2D Riemann surface is a surface that can be represented by a complex-valued function. It is a type of smooth manifold that is locally homeomorphic to the complex plane.

3. How is the Gauss Bonnet Theorem applied to 2D Riemann surfaces?

The Gauss Bonnet Theorem can be applied to 2D Riemann surfaces by using the Riemann surface's metric tensor to calculate its Gaussian curvature. This curvature is then used to determine the total curvature of the surface, which can be compared to the Euler characteristic to verify the theorem.

4. What is the significance of the Gauss Bonnet Theorem?

The Gauss Bonnet Theorem has significant implications in geometry, topology, and physics. It provides a powerful tool for understanding the relationship between the curvature and topology of surfaces, and has applications in fields such as differential geometry, string theory, and cosmology.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to the Gauss Bonnet Theorem?

While the Gauss Bonnet Theorem is generally applicable to 2D Riemann surfaces, there are some limitations and exceptions. For example, it does not apply to non-orientable surfaces or surfaces with singularities. Additionally, it may not hold for surfaces with a non-constant metric tensor or for surfaces that are not smooth.