Understanding the Inconsistencies of Imaginary Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the square root function with complex numbers. The first equation is correct because it involves finding the square root of a positive number, while the second equation is incorrect due to the property that the square root of a product only applies to non-negative numbers. In the context of complex numbers, the square root function has two possible answers and the use of the '√' notation may be misleading.
Tian En
I ran into such problem. Not sure if some one can help.

$$\sqrt{-i^2}=\sqrt{-1\times i^2}=\sqrt{-1\times -1}=\sqrt{1}=1$$

I also have

$$\sqrt{-i^2}=\sqrt{-1}\times \sqrt{i^2}=\sqrt{-1}\times i=i\times i=-1$$

Can anyone explain to me the inconsistencies?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My interpretation is that both of these equations are correct since a square root yields both a positive and a negative answer.

Tian En said:
I ran into such problem. Not sure if some one can help.

$$\sqrt{-i^2}=\sqrt{-1\times i^2}=\sqrt{-1\times -1}=\sqrt{1}=1$$

I also have

$$\sqrt{-i^2}=\sqrt{-1}\times \sqrt{i^2}=\sqrt{-1}\times i=i\times i=-1$$

Can anyone explain to me the inconsistencies?
NFuller said:
My interpretation is that both of these equations are correct since a square root yields both a positive and a negative answer.
I disagree. The first equation is find, because the radical on the left is essentially ##\sqrt 1##, which is 1.
The second equation is not correct, because the property that ##\sqrt a \sqrt b = \sqrt {ab}## is applicable only if both a and b are nonnegative. This is pointed out in the Insights article that @fresh_42 cited.

In addition, the real square root of a nonnegative number represents a single number, so it's not correct to say that, for example, ##\sqrt 4 = \pm 2##.

Likes jbriggs444
Either answer is incomplete. The best answer is ±1. Once complex numbers are allowed, you need to be aware that the square root function always has two possible answers.
Using the '√' notation together with its assumption of a positive answer is treacherous in a context where complex numbers have been introduced. The '√' radical notation implies that the positive square root of a positive number will be used. Use '±√' if you want both to be considered. But once complex numbers are involved, those conventions do not apply.

Likes fresh_42
FactChecker said:
Either answer is incomplete. The best answer is ±1. Once complex numbers are allowed, you need to be aware that the square root function always has two possible answers.
You make a good point, but the first equation starts off with ##\sqrt{-i^2}##. Since -i2 = -(-1) = 1, we are taking the square root of a positive number, and complex numbers are not involved.
FactChecker said:
Using the '√' notation together with its assumption of a positive answer is treacherous in a context where complex numbers have been introduced. The '√' radical notation implies that the positive square root of a positive number will be used. Use '±√' if you want both to be considered. But once complex numbers are involved, those conventions do not apply.

Thank you.

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". This unit is defined as the square root of -1, which is a number that cannot be represented on the real number line. Imaginary numbers are typically used in advanced mathematics, such as in complex numbers and differential equations.

2. How are imaginary numbers used?

Imaginary numbers are used in various fields of mathematics, such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. They are often used to represent quantities that involve square roots of negative numbers, such as in electrical circuits and signal processing. They are also used in the study of complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary components.

3. Can imaginary numbers be graphed?

Yes, imaginary numbers can be graphed on a complex plane, which is a two-dimensional graph that represents both real and imaginary numbers. The horizontal axis represents the real numbers, while the vertical axis represents the imaginary numbers. This allows for visualizing and understanding complex numbers and their relationships.

4. What is the difference between real and imaginary numbers?

The main difference between real and imaginary numbers is that real numbers can be plotted on a number line, while imaginary numbers cannot. Real numbers represent quantities that are measurable in the real world, while imaginary numbers are often used to represent quantities that are not directly observable, such as in mathematical equations.

5. Why are imaginary numbers important?

Imaginary numbers play a vital role in mathematics and its applications in various fields. They allow for the solution of complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved with just real numbers. They also have practical applications in engineering, physics, and computer science. Furthermore, understanding imaginary numbers can lead to a deeper understanding of the complex number system and its applications.