Understanding the Induction Axiom: Notation & Equivalence

In summary: That can lead to confusion, as in this case.So we can summarize by saying that the two statements are equivalent due to the assumption that M is a subset of ℕ, but the use of symbols and notation may lead to misunderstandings or confusion. Ultimately, it is important to clarify the meaning and context when using notation in mathematical proofs and arguments. In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in notation for the induction axiom and clarifies that while the two statements may appear to be equivalent, there are subtle differences and it is important to clarify the meaning and context when using notation in mathematical proofs and arguments.
Danijel
So , what I was wondering about was a slight difference in notation, for which I am not certain if correct (mine, in particular.).
The induction axiom says: If M is a subset of ℕ, and if holds that:
a)1∈M
b)(∨n∈ℕ)(n∈M→s(n)∈M)
then M=ℕ.
Now my question is: why do we write (∨n∈ℕ)(n∈M→s(n)∈M), instead of (∨n∈M) s(n)∈M? Are these equivalent? Because, if we say n ∈ M, we consider that n∈ℕ and n∈M, since M⊆ℕ.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Likes Janosh89
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Danijel said:
So , what I was wondering about was a slight difference in notation, for which I am not certain if correct (mine, in particular.).
The induction axiom says: If M is a subset of ℕ, and if holds that:
a)1∈M
b)(∨n∈ℕ)(n∈M→s(n)∈M)
then M=ℕ.
Now my question is: why do we write (∨n∈ℕ)(n∈M→s(n)∈M), instead of (∨n∈M) s(n)∈M?
The first is rigorous, the second a bit sloppy. Induction means, we assume ##n \in \mathbb{N}## and ##n \in M## in order to conclude ##s(n)\in M##. To write for all ##n \in M## is shorter, but ##M \subseteq \mathbb{N}## is suppressed.
Are those equivalent?
I'd say yes. However, since we are in the field of logic here, I would prefer the former over the latter. The explicit deduction ## \rightarrow ## makes the induction principle more clear.
Because, if we say n ∈ M, we consider that n∈ℕ and n∈M, since M⊆ℕ.

Danijel said:
Now my question is: why do we write (∨n∈ℕ)(n∈M→s(n)∈M), instead of (∨n∈M) s(n)∈M? Are these equivalent?

No, the two statements are not equivalent. For example, for each natural number n it is True that "If n < 0 then the successor of n is < 0". The Truth of that statement follows from the convention that an if-then statement is True whenever the if-clause is False. By contrast, the statement "For each natural number n, n < 0" is False.

This illustrates why step a)## 1 \in M## is a crucial part of proof by induction.

Note that ##M \subset N## does not rule out the possibility that ##M## is the empty set.

Stephen Tashi said:
Note that ##M \subset N## does not rule out the possibility that ##M## is the empty set.
But if ##M## is the empty set, both statements are still true. (!?)

This may be a silly way to approach it, but I thought of this.
(∀n∈M) s(n)∈M is by definition equivalent to (∀n)(n∈M →s(n)∈M), which is obviously not equivalent to (∀n∈ℕ)(n∈M →s(n)∈M). Another way to think about it is that these can become equivalent if we consider a few things, which is not what we usually do.

Danijel said:
This may be a silly way to approach it, but I thought of this.
(∀n∈M) s(n)∈M is by definition equivalent to (∀n)(n∈M →s(n)∈M), which is obviously not equivalent to (∀n∈ℕ)(n∈M →s(n)∈M). Another way to think about it is that these can become equivalent if we consider a few things, which is not what we usually do.
These three sentences are in fact equivalent in this case, since it is assumed that M⊆ℕ.
But I agree with Fresh 42 that the form (∀n∈M) s(n)∈M is not good pedagogically, since it seems less clear with this form that inductionn means going from n to s(n).

fresh_42 said:
But if ##M## is the empty set, both statements are still true. (!?)

I see your point. Yes both are true if the notation "##\forall n \in M"## is interpreted to mean "For each n, (if ##n \in M## then...)" With that interpretation, the two statements are equivalent by definition.

In the formal logic I have seen, the notation for quantifiers is in the form ##(\forall x) (...)## rather than having any operation immediately after the quantifier - so we would not write "##\forall x \in M##" for "##\forall x > 0##". However, people also use the notation for quantifiers informally, as if "##\forall##" can be used to abbreviate the English phrase "for each" in any English sentence where "for each" occurs.

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the Induction Axiom?

The Induction Axiom is a fundamental concept in mathematics that allows us to prove statements about infinite sets. It states that if a statement is true for the first element in a set, and if it is true for any element after that, then it must be true for all elements in the set.

2. How is the Induction Axiom used in mathematical proofs?

The Induction Axiom is typically used in mathematical proofs to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. This is done by first proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then assuming it is true for an arbitrary natural number and showing that it must also be true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it can be shown that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What is the notation used to represent the Induction Axiom?

The notation used to represent the Induction Axiom is often written as: ∀n ∈ ℕ, P(n) → P(n+1), where P(n) is the statement being proved and n is a natural number.

4. What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction, also known as standard induction, is a form of the Induction Axiom that only requires that a statement is true for the next element in a set. Strong induction, on the other hand, requires that the statement is true for all elements before the next element in the set as well. In other words, strong induction allows for a more general statement to be proven.

5. Can the Induction Axiom be used to prove all statements about infinite sets?

No, the Induction Axiom can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about infinite sets with different or uncountable elements. In these cases, other methods of proof must be used.