Understanding the Mechanics of Walking on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of stability while walking up an inclined plane. It is established that there will be three forces acting on the person - weight, normal, and friction. The person needs to keep their center of mass between their feet to achieve stability and prevent an unbalanced torque from pulling them over. It is also mentioned that walking involves falling forwards and keeping the body vertically aligned can help maintain stability. However, it is not a super critical factor and further research on the process of walking is recommended.
Vibhor
Hello ,

This is a question related to an everyday activity .
walk.png

My thinking - The base of the inclined plane is along the x-axis and it makes an angle θ with positive x-axis .We are looking from the +z axis .

There will be three forces acting on the person . Weight , normal(perpendicular to the plane) and friction(upwards along the plane) .

If a man does not lean forward and remains along a perpendicular to the plane then there would be an anticlockwise torque from friction about the COM .This unbalanced torque would cause instability .

But if the person is leaning forward , the line of action of normal force will not pass through the COM .A clockwise torque from normal about the COM will get balanced by an anticlockwise torque from friction resulting in stability .

Is my understanding correct . If not , please give a correct explanation and help me understand this .

Thanks

Attachments

• walk.png
    walk.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression "lean forwards" is a bit ambiguous. It could mean ...

1) lean forward relative to the vertical/gravity
or
2) lean forward relative to a normal to the plane.

It appears you mean 2). In which case your description is correct.

Vibhor said:
There will be three forces acting on the person . Weight , normal(perpendicular to the plane) and friction(upwards along the plane) .

If the man is standing still (eg not accelerating) then these three forces sum to zero in all directions. So the normal force and friction must sum to provide a force that is vertical to counter gravity. So yes the man can't stand perpendicular to the surface but he doesn't need to do anything more than stand vertically upright. Does standing vertically really count as "leaning forward"?

Walking actually involves "falling" and that also requires us to "lean forward" or at least it requires us to put our COM in front of our point of contact with the ground (the rear foot). So actually we lean forward slightly when walking on level ground.

Likes Vibhor
Thank you for replying .

CWatters said:
It could mean ...

1) lean forward relative to the vertical/gravity

Is it possible to remain stable in this ?

My question is something similar to
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-lean-forward-while-climbing-up-a-hill

I don't quite understand the explanation of keeping feet in line with the center of gravity to achieve stability .

Is it that in the link above the axis of rotation is taken to be the feet whereas I considered axis about the Center of Mass/Center of gravity ?

Is it correct that for stability , while walking up an inclined plane a person's body remains close to being vertical so that the force due to gravity doesn't create an unbalanced torque about the feet ?

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
I don't quite understand the explanation of keeping feet in line with the center of gravity to achieve stability .

I don't think the reply at that link is very clear. I think what they mean is you need to keep your centre of mass between your feet as below...

lean forward.jpg

Attachments

• lean forward.jpg
    lean forward.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 578
Likes Vibhor
Thanks for the nice picture :)

CWatters said:
I don't think the reply at that link is very clear. I think what they mean is you need to keep your centre of mass between your feet as below...

How does that help in achieving stability ?

Is it that for stability , while walking up an inclined plane a person's body remains close to being vertical so that the force due to gravity doesn't create an unbalanced torque about the feet ?

You explained it in #1. If the COM is outside of your feet as per the right-hand drawing then a clockwise torque is created that pulls you over.

Likes Vibhor
OK.

In simple words , while walking up an inclined plane a person's body remains as vertically aligned as possible .

Is this correct ?

Last edited:
It's not super critical. Read up on the process of walking, it involves falling forwards.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface set at an angle. It allows you to move objects from a lower level to a higher level with less force.

How does walking up an inclined plane differ from walking on a flat surface?

Walking up an inclined plane requires more effort because you are working against gravity. This means that you have to exert more force and energy to move your body and any objects you are carrying.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to walk up an inclined plane?

The amount of force needed to walk up an inclined plane depends on the angle of the plane, the weight of the person or object, and the surface of the plane. The steeper the angle and the heavier the object, the more force is needed.

How does friction play a role in walking up an inclined plane?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces. When walking up an inclined plane, friction between your feet and the surface of the plane helps you maintain your balance and prevents you from slipping. However, too much friction can make it more difficult to walk up the plane.

What are some real-life applications of walking up an inclined plane?

Inclined planes are commonly used in everyday life, such as ramps for wheelchairs and strollers, escalators, and roads on hills. They are also used in more complex machines, such as staircases, cranes, and conveyor belts, to make it easier to move objects vertically.