Understanding the operation in ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of rings and fields, specifically focusing on the rings ##\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}## and their properties. It is noted that a ring is a field if and only if ##n## is a prime number, and the difference between a field and a ring is the existence of invertible elements in a field. The conversation also touches on the concept of cyclic groups and the Cayley table.
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Kindly see attached notes
...Out of interest am trying to go through the attached notes,

1690463602101.png

My interest is on the highlighted, i know that in

##\mathbb{z}/\mathbb{6z}## under multiplication we shall have:

##1*1=1##
##5*5=1## am assuming that how they have the ##(\mathbb{z}/\mathbb{6z})^{*}={1,5}## is that correct?

In ##\mathbb{z}/\mathbb{5z} ## we shall have,
##1*1=1##
##2*3=1##
##3*2=1##
##4*4=1## .....integral domain...

insight or guidance is welcome...

Now the part i am not getting is the highlighted part in red.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The star in the notation means, the (multiplicative) group of units (invertible elements) in the ring. In the case of ##\mathbb{Z}_6,## we have only two units, ##1## and ##5##, because there is no solution to the equations ##a\cdot x=1## if ##a\in \{0,2,3,4\}.## You are right, ##1\cdot 1= 1## and ##5\cdot 5=1.## There is only one group with two elements, so ##\mathbb{Z}^*_6 =\{1,5\}\cong \mathbb{Z}_2.##

##\mathbb{Z}_5## on the other hand is a field because ##5## is a prime number. As a field, all elements except ##0## are units, i.e. ##\mathbb{Z}^*_5=\{1,2,3,4\}.## You have found all the inverse elements. The words you highlighted in red simply mean that the number of elements in ##\mathbb{Z}^*_5=\{1,2,3,4\}## is four: ## \# \mathbb{Z}^*_5=\# \{1,2,3,4\}=|\{1,2,3,4\}|=4.##

• Informative
Likes chwala
fresh_42 said:
The star in the notation means, the (multiplicative) group of units (invertible elements) in the ring. In the case of ##\mathbb{Z}_6,## we have only two units, ##1## and ##5##, because there is no solution to the equations ##a\cdot x=1## if ##a\in \{0,2,3,4\}.## You are right, ##1\cdot 1= 1## and ##5\cdot 5=1.## There is only one group with two elements, so ##\mathbb{Z}^*_6 =\{1,5\}\cong \mathbb{Z}_2.##

##\mathbb{Z}_5## on the other hand is a field because ##5## is a prime number. As a field, all elements except ##0## are units, i.e. ##\mathbb{Z}^*_5=\{1,2,3,4\}.## You have found all the inverse elements. The words you highlighted in red simply mean that the number of elements in ##\mathbb{Z}^*_5=\{1,2,3,4\}## is four: ## \# \mathbb{Z}^*_5=\# \{1,2,3,4\}=|\{1,2,3,4\}|=4.##
...so in simple terms for a set to be defined as a field,it means that every element in that set must have an inverse like in the case of ##\mathbb{z}_5?##. In ##\mathbb{z}_6## the elements ##[2,3,4]## have no inverse, thus not a field... or in other terms a lack of zero divisors...need to review the definitions...

lastly, i want to know if i am getting this right,

##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_3=(0,1)×(0,1,2)=(0,0), (0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1)## and ##(1,2)##

what about ##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_2?## let me give it a try a minute...

Last edited:
chwala said:
...so in simple terms for a set
ring
chwala said:
to be defined as a field,it means that every element in that set
except ##0##
chwala said:
must have an inverse like in the case of ##\mathbb{z}_5?##.
This is a necessary condition, not a sufficient condition.

We were talking about rings of the form
$$
\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z} = \mathbb{Z}_n =\{0,1,\ldots,n-1\}.
$$
Bézout's lemma says that the greatest common divisor of ##n## and ##k## can be written as
$$
\operatorname{gcd}(k,n) = a\cdot k + b\cdot n
$$
If ##\operatorname{gcd}(k,n)=1## then ##1\equiv a\cdot k \pmod{n}## and ##k## has an inverse ##a.## However, if ##n=p## is prime, then all non-zero elements in ##\left(\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}\right)^* =\mathbb{Z}_p^*=\{1,\ldots,p-1\}## are coprime to ##p## so they all have an inverse. Since all other properties of a field are already true in the ring ##\mathbb{Z}_p^*,## we have a field.

If ##\operatorname{gcd}(k,n)=d>1## then ##d\,|\,n## and we have ##n=d\cdot e## or ##d\cdot e\equiv 0\pmod{n}.## This means, we have a zero divisor ##d\neq 0## which is not allowed in a field, ##d## has no (multiplicatively) inverse element.

Both statements together say that ##\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}= \mathbb{Z}_n## is a field if and only if ##n=p## is prime.

• Informative
Likes chwala
aaaaaaah now becoming clear...getting this concepts requires patience...i now know that,

##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_3=(0,1)×(0,1,2)=(0,0), (0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1)## and ##(1,2)## and on taking successive multiples of ##(1,1)## we get,

##(0,1),(1,1),(0,0),(0,2),(1,0)## and ##(1,2)##

since we can get the whole group by taking multiples of ##(1,1)## it follows that ##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_3## is cyclic of order 6. Bingo!

chwala said:
aaaaaaah now becoming clear...getting this concepts requires patience...i now know that,

##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_3=(0,1)×(0,1,2)=(0,0), (0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1)## and ##(1,2)## and on taking successive multiples of ##(1,1)## we get,

##(0,1),(1,1),(0,0),(0,2),(1,0)## and ##(1,2)##

since we can get the whole group by taking multiples of ##(1,1)## it follows that ##\mathbb{z}_2 ×\mathbb{z}_3## is cyclic of order 6. Bingo!
The other way around. Cyclic means, generated by a single element. There are two groups with six elements. One is ##\mathbb{Z}_6=\mathbb{Z}_2\times \mathbb{Z}_3## which is cyclic of order six, i.e. can be generated the way you described. ##\mathbb{Z}_6## is a direct product.

The second one is the symmetric group of three elements (permutations), ##S_3=\mathbb{Z}_2\ltimes \mathbb{Z}_3=\mathbb{Z}_2\ltimes A_3.## This group is not cyclic. It needs at least two elements to generate the entire group, e.g. the permutations ##(1,2,3)## and ##(1,2).## One generates the subgroup ##\mathbb{Z}_2## and the other one the normal subgroup ##A_3,## the alternating group with three elements. ##S_3## is a semidirect product.

• Informative
Likes chwala
it took me time to get to know what is happening in the cayleigh table.

1690476135120.png
just realised that the operation is addition :biggrin: ...time for break now. ...all the elements in the leading diagonal are all ##(0,0)##...

Likes fresh_42

1. What is ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##?

##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##, also known as the multiplicative group of integers modulo 6, is a set of numbers that are coprime to 6 and are closed under multiplication modulo 6. In simpler terms, it is the set of numbers that have a multiplicative inverse when multiplied by another number in the set, and the result is always within the range of 0 to 5.

2. How does ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## differ from ##\mathbb{Z_6}##?

##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## and ##\mathbb{Z_6}## are both sets of numbers modulo 6, but they differ in their operations. ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## is a group under multiplication, meaning that the operation is closed and has an identity element (1) and an inverse for every element. ##\mathbb{Z_6}##, on the other hand, is a ring under addition and multiplication, meaning the operations are closed, but not every element has an inverse.

3. How do I perform operations in ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##?

The operations in ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## follow the same rules as regular multiplication, but with the added constraint that the result must be within the range of 0 to 5. For example, 2 * 3 = 6, but in ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##, the result would be 0 since 6 is not within the range. Additionally, the inverse of an element can be found by using the extended Euclidean algorithm.

4. What is the order of ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}##?

The order of ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## is the number of elements in the set, which is 2. This is because there are only two numbers in the set that are coprime to 6 and have a multiplicative inverse - 1 and 5.

5. How is ##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## used in cryptography?

##(\mathbb{z_6})^{*}## is used in cryptography as part of the RSA algorithm. In this algorithm, the set is used to generate a public and private key pair by choosing two numbers from the set and using them to encrypt and decrypt messages. The security of the algorithm relies on the difficulty of finding the multiplicative inverse of a number in the set without knowing the two original numbers used to generate the keys.